1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Genetics Experts - Can someone please explain HOW this happened???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by HenThymes, Jun 1, 2011.

1. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    Our neighbor has our orpington stock exclusively. I know the parentage as I still own them. This weekend their solid black bantam orp hen became a mom for the first time, dad of the chicks can only be either a solid black bantam orp or a splash bantam orp ad these are the only two they have. Where is the world did this coloring come from!!! [​IMG] I still hatch from the parent stock of these offspring and have nothing like these hatch, mine are all black or blue depending on what rooster/hen cross. I am just stumped. [​IMG] There are a total of 4 chicks in these colors.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I've learned through the years it doesn't matter how well you know your parent/breeder stock something genetic can and will pop up with your generations anywhere down the line. [​IMG] Doesn't matter what someone else sold you it happens more often than you think!

3. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    OOOOH!!

What fun! It will be exiting to watch them feather out. (In a singsong voice) Ooooooooh,Henk69!!!??? What's going on here?

4. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:Errrr... EXCITING, that is.

5. HenThymes

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    I about hit the floor when I came around the corner and these are what I saw! [​IMG] Definitely not what I was expecting at all. The good thing it that if they grow out to be anything cool.... I can start a new bantam orp project. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:There ya go!!! Never a glass half empty but a glass half full!!! [​IMG]

7. big medicine

big medicine custom Brahmas

Mar 6, 2009
    Ohio
    Your neighbor didn't have some one watching their birds, or a family member, with a sense of humor maybe ? Time will tell.

8. HenThymes

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    Quote:Nope, we are the only ones who tend to their animals when there gone and no one around them has any chickens, let alone any that could get into their coop. [​IMG] I actually brought that last one down to my house to hatch out as mom had gotten off the nest with the other three. The eggs are hers, they only have a few chickens and she is the only bantam orp hen they have and only two roosters and both are bantam orps. [​IMG]

9. big medicine

big medicine custom Brahmas

Mar 6, 2009
    Ohio
    Just checking, wouldn't be the first time somebody swiched eggs as a joke.

10. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

I like em! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by