Genetics Expirement Gone Bad. PICS!

koakritters

Songster
8 Years
Jan 27, 2011
Petaluma
SO... My question was, what do you get when you cross the white Silkie roo with the standard gray, smooth Cochin? Answer: THIS!!!

264736_2102116403483_1562645299_2270099_3489332_n.jpg

264465_2102117163502_1562645299_2270100_4310528_n.jpg

So obviously mommy has the frizzled gene in her somewhere... and the black gene!
smile.png
Any guesses boy or girl with the face shot? It's about a month old now, no name yet, but i think i have to keep this thing either way, too cool looking to give it up!

*also has the 5 silkie toes and the black skin. LOL

Last edited:
really?! it's an actual breed? LOL YAY!!!! I have 3 more eggs hatching in 4 days from the same parents, can't wait to see what else i get.

I was thinking the frizzle gene was dominate.

By gray do you mean Blue? Blue has black in it.

Actually, those feathers look like what you get when you feed Gamebird Starter to chicks (at times). It could be just the result of crossing the silkie feathering with normal feathers.

well i'm definitely a fan now, giving up on filling my incubator with my polish X eggs, the babies all seem to have the same polish "i-hate-you" attitude their mother does... these guys are much more fun!!!! i wonder what i can get from a silkieXpolish.... that might be the next idea!!!

Quote:
yah, maybe, she's always looked more gray to me, but i'm horrible at colors, i was told me new silkie would be a partridge but he/she is more blue/gray too...

this is mom

6333062.jpg

Quote:
Fizzle is dominant, but there is a recessive frizzle modifier that "unfrizzles" feathers. Chances are pretty good that the parent who provided a copy of frizzle also has two copies of the modifier, so does not appear frizzled.

I was wondering if he meant blue, too.

Silkie feathering X normal feathering = normal feathering. Hard vs soft is a second attribute there.

Back
Top Bottom