Can anyone do the genetic math for me?

Spudlo

Songster
Dec 11, 2019
Port Orchard, WA
Using genetic charts, calculators, voodoo, witch craft, or you actually know the answer what will my new baby chick look like?
Dad is a black bantam cochin frizzle
Mom is a splash Rosecomb (true bantam)

Questions;
Color - Black or Splash or something else ?
Size- bantam cochin or tiny Rosecomb ? OR can a standard cochin be a result?
Comb- ?
Frizzle or Not?

So far I have a 5wk old chick with what looks like a single comb,possibly splash,4 toed, feather footed, tall, not frizzled Roo. IMG_0751.jpeg IMG_0752.jpeg IMG_0678.jpeg IMG_0679.jpeg

Black cross splash is always Blue. You're cute little boy is too.

Comb- ?
Both are bantam.. size will be bantam.

Straight is recessive.. so comb *should* be rose.. even if it got only one copy. Looks like somehow this chick got 2 copies for straight/single or no copies for R.. maybe your RC is carrying some hidden genes.. according to my current understanding. Or maybe it was another blue or splash mother??

Frizzle or Not?
Yours is not frizzled. See this link for a good explanation of the % stuff and how it works.. it never fully translates in SMALL batch #'s..

https://meyerhatchery.zendesk.com/h...n-Poultry-Why-isn-t-my-frizzle-chick-frizzle-

Feathered legs are dominant so that's expected. Both breed are 4 toed so also expected.

Sorry no magic or voodoo here.. just good old fashioned experience coupled with lots of research and enthusiasm.. sprinkled with a little.. sometimes I mix it up! :oops:

Happy hatching and genetic adventures! :wee

Black cross splash is always Blue. You're cute little boy is too.

Both are bantam.. size will be bantam.

Straight is recessive.. so comb *should* be rose.. even if it got only one copy. Looks like somehow this chick got 2 copies for straight/single or no copies for R.. maybe your RC is carrying some hidden genes.. according to my current understanding. Or maybe it was another blue or splash mother??

Yours is not frizzled. See this link for a good explanation of the % stuff and how it works.. it never fully translates in SMALL batch #'s..

https://meyerhatchery.zendesk.com/h...n-Poultry-Why-isn-t-my-frizzle-chick-frizzle-

Feathered legs are dominant so that's expected. Both breed are 4 toed so also expected.

Sorry no magic or voodoo here.. just good old fashioned experience coupled with lots of research and enthusiasm.. sprinkled with a little.. sometimes I mix it up! :oops:

Happy hatching and genetic adventures! :wee
No, Mrs Bonaparte is the only bantam hen we have so her egg was easy to recognize 😂. And Vlad is the only roo. The comb thing is weird though from what I read . But she came from Wilco so she’s not exactly RC show quality.

The comb thing is weird though from what I read
Best I can tell means your hen is heterozygous for Rose comb according to my calculation and current understanding.. making it Rr and the rooster being rr. see if this link explains it at all including how two *visibly* rose comb parents can throw a straight (test mating is the only way to eliminate it)..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/understanding-the-rose-comb-trait.65576/

Set up your own punnet squares.. When I tried it for your birds.. if your hen was RR (homozygous for rose) then all offspring would be rose comb with some (from this mating) being Rr or heterozyous for Rose (which is visibly rose but carrying a straight gene hidden/recessive.. take two copies to present). Your hatch results don't indicate or agree with this.

When I tried with your hen Being Rr.. and the roo rr.. then I came up with 50% Rr (rose comb) and the other 50% being rr (straight combed). which is what your hatch result indicate TO ME at this point.

It's been fun to practice this genetic mystery adventure. :pop

Because the chick is so tall compared to his parents I was wondering about the standard cochin gene, Vlad being a bantam . Like 2 people with dwarfism have a average size kid? But I guess that’s not a thing ?

Because the chick is so tall compared to his parents I was wondering about the standard cochin gene, Vlad being a bantam . Like 2 people with dwarfism have an average size kid? But I guess that’s not a thing ?
The chick could be a little bigger than his parent but he won’t be standard sized. If you hatch more chicks from this crossing, about 50% of them will be frizzled.

Using genetic charts, calculators, voodoo, witch craft, or you actually know the answer what will my new baby chick look like?
Dad is a black bantam cochin frizzle
Mom is a splash Rosecomb (true bantam)

Questions;
Comb- ?
Frizzle or Not?

So far I have a 5wk old chick with what looks like a single comb,possibly splash,4 toed, feather footed, tall, not frizzled Roo.View attachment 3564956View attachment 3564957View attachment 3564960View attachment 3564961
I wanted to update my post about our little Rosecomb hen x Bantam Cochin Frizzle roo. Shadow grew up to be so very pretty . He doesn’t have a Rosecomb which I guess is supposed to be dominant ?
1B3890D9-C01E-4153-903F-998680E3D84F.jpeg
6FBD58B9-BDEA-4AC1-8285-97A11FC949DF.jpeg
4F3C0051-54C9-4819-9512-BF1193E5D474.jpeg

I wanted to update my post about our little Rosecomb hen x Bantam Cochin Frizzle roo. Shadow grew up to be so very pretty . He doesn’t have a Rosecomb which I guess is supposed to be dominant ?
He is very pretty :)

Rose comb is dominant over single comb. But that means your hen can show a rose comb (dominant trait) while also having the recessive gene for not-rose comb. She gave the recessive gene (not-rose) to this chick, which is why he has a single comb. If you hatch more chicks from the same rosecomb hen, about half of them should get rose combs, and the other half should have single combs.

Back
Top Bottom