Genetics Gurus Please Help! Working Towards True Breeding Olive Eggers

That is still being worked out. I'm not enough in the loop. I can purchase the heat sensitive sealing tape and make up a package but have not yet tried to send a package of my own. My previous samples were sent in along with samples from the Silverudds group.

P/p+ and P/P chicks will look similar when chick since their comb is not that large, but you will only see the compact P/P homozygous Pea Comb once they start reaching puberty
If I get one that's p+/p+ will that be obvious any earlier? It would be helpful to know, to be able to give away the straight combed chicks early on and keep the ones I'd like to breed. In the first cross of my EE to BCM I can only get P/p+ or p+/p+ anyway. Later I'll have a chance of any of the three types.

If I get one that's p+/p+ will that be obvious any earlier? It would be helpful to know, to be able to give away the straight combed chicks early on and keep the ones I'd like to breed.

When I've had chicks with P/P pea combs and p+/p+ single combs, I could see the difference from a very early age: the single combs looked very skinny next to the pea combs. I haven't dealt with crosses between the two, so I don't have experience with the P/p+ appearance in chicks.

You could examine all chicks in the first batch, mark them in some way (ink or leg bands, or separate into different pens), and then grow them up a bit to check yourself-- that will let you know how accurately you can tell at what age.

Back
Top Bottom