Genetics Help Please!!!!!

TinyTotsSeramas

Songster
8 Years
Jun 21, 2011
Smithsburg
If you breed a Silkied to a Frizzle, Is it possible to end up with a Smooth chick?
I was thinking since Frizzle only needs 1 Frizzle gene and 1 Smooth gene, If the chick got the Smooth gene from mom and 1 Silkied gene from dad, that its possible to get a Smooth baby that carries the Silkied gene... I dont know if this is how it works in chickens but I've used this with Horses and the Cream gene before...

Please give me your insite!?

305896_188449991235022_100002100667846_452146_1044122056_n.jpg

seems like Homozygous Frizzels die very young and most of the firzzels you see around are Heterozygous.. Silkie feather is a recessive trait, meaning that 2 copies(homozygous) need to be pressent for the trait to be seen,... so if you cross a Frizzel(heterozygous for Frizzel gene, wich is unrelated to the silkie gene) you will have 50% chance of smooth feathered chicks, and 50% Frizzel chicks, and 0% silkie chicks... BUT 50% of ALL the chicks(Frizzel or smooth feathered) will carry the Silkie gene, but Hiden

Quote:
Awesome! Thank you for confirming!!
I got shipped eggs from a pen where the dad was Silkied, there were 2 Silkied hens and 1 Frizzle and when the chick started feathering out smooth It got me thinking how could it be but then I remembered the Frizzled hen in the pen and got me thinking more on genetics

Quote:
Awesome! Thank you for confirming!!
I got shipped eggs from a pen where the dad was Silkied, there were 2 Silkied hens and 1 Frizzle and when the chick started feathering out smooth It got me thinking how could it be but then I remembered the Frizzled hen in the pen and got me thinking more on genetics

the the chick comes from the Frizzled hen...
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom