genetics issue?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CarolinaHen, Oct 3, 2014.

1. CarolinaHen

CarolinaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2013
    South Carolina
    We have a beautiful young silkie cockerel that we hatched in January. The chicks we are getting from him are all dying before they reach a month old. The hens are over a year old and experienced broodies. Any ideas why these chicks are dying? Mostly they appear as failure to thrive chicks. Is there anything we can do, or should we get a different rooster? He is one we planned to show this fall :/

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  3. CarolinaHen

Apr 19, 2013
    South Carolina
    They are on high quality food, free range in the garden, and we had a separate brooder for the hens that is raised off of the ground three feet. This has happened with both chicks hatched by a broody as well as ones hatched by the broody. I'm stumped.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You might try posting on one of the silkie threads where breeders may see it and comment. I find some of the more rare breeds just really hard to get good hatches, compared to some more common breeds. I have had a heck of a time with wheaten ameraucanas and salmon faverolles.

5. CarolinaHen

Apr 19, 2013
    South Carolina
    Good idea. I'll post there as well. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by