Genetics of a calico princess

I know, but she still needs a black gene from mom too, doesn't she?
It depends on which "black" gene you're talking about. I can think of at least three that might be relevant:

The mother probably has Dominant White (turns black into white.) The daughter needs to get "black" (not-Dominant-White) from both parents, or else she would be white.

If the daughter has E (Extended Black, which makes a chicken have mostly black feathers), it only needs to come from one parent (the father). Since the mother has a lot of red or gold, she clearly does not have E (Extended Black).

To turn the black into blue, the daughter needs one copy of blue (probably from her father). Then she needs one copy of "black" (not-blue) from the other parent (probably the mother.)

I know they have black, I bred my girl to a mix I know the background of and got a solid blue girl with copper necklacing.

If you mean that your Calico Princess hen has one copy of the Dominant White gene, and one copy of not-Dominant-White, then I agree that her daughter proves that very nicely.

It depends on which "black" gene you're talking about. I can think of at least three that might be relevant:

The mother probably has Dominant White (turns black into white.) The daughter needs to get "black" (not-Dominant-White) from both parents, or else she would be white.

If the daughter has E (Extended Black, which makes a chicken have mostly black feathers), it only needs to come from one parent (the father). Since the mother has a lot of red or gold, she clearly does not have E (Extended Black).

To turn the black into blue, the daughter needs one copy of blue (probably from her father). Then she needs one copy of "black" (not-blue) from the other parent (probably the mother.)

If you mean that your Calico Princess hen has one copy of the Dominant White gene, and one copy of not-Dominant-White, then I agree that her daughter proves that very nicely.
Blue X 1 copy of Dominant White results.
Screenshot_20210809-212634_Chrome.jpg
Just thought a picture with percentages will be useful.

Why would a CP hen probably have dominate white?
Because someone showed a photo of a Calico Princess hen with a white tail and no black in sight. So I assumed that one had Dominant White.

And when @JacinLarkwell was puzzled about getting a blue daughter from a Calico Princess hen x blue rooster, I assumed their Calico Princess must have had Dominant White or else there would be no puzzle at all (genetically speaking).

Back
Top Bottom