Genetics of Auburn Javas?

Is my logic flawed? Wouldn't that just result in black birds again?
yes it is, only because Db(powerful columbian restrictor, workd like Co found on columbian rocks,wyandotte) Db stands for Dark Brown, and why did they named that gene Dark Brown? because it was found on ER(Birchen) birds, ER chicks look just like black Java chicks(black java chicks should be Extended Black) because Extended Black and ER are very close genetically, but how was this Db found on these birds(ER Birchem)? because the Dark brown gene turns the chicks down from black to a dark brown shade(looks like chocolate or solid brown chicks) so its very easy to tell them apart, the chicks with black down dont have Db but the chicks with Db are dark brown at hatch, Db has almost or no effect on Extended black(E/E Black Javas) on adulthood,

here some genetic reading from my copy of Crawfords book

now to your second question.. yes mating Black javas to Auburns will infact make the F1s(first generation cross) all black(due to Db the chicks down will be brown looking) BUT once they are adults and you mate them together(F1 roo mated to F1 hen) you will get back at Auburns, and some laced ones, but you will also get some blacks to...

Well, it will certainly be worth trying! I figure if I got an Auburn pair and a Black Pair, I can breed the Auburn Roo with the Black hen and vice versa. I could then breed the offspring together to avoid close inbreeding. The Java gene pool being small already, I think starting a laced line with brother/sister mating would be unwise.

If I get a chance to do this I will let you know how it pans out.

One more question: How do I improve the lacing? I like lacing like the Sebright- Nice and thick!

One more thing: You said you can tell chicks with Db apart from chicks without it since the ones with it will be dark brown and the ones without it will be black. Could you post images of what the Db chick VS the one without it looks like? If Auburns have been bred from Blacks, I would need to avoid Black birds that carry Db, or when I breed them to the Auburn, instead of 50% having no Db, only 25% would.

Back
Top Bottom