Genetics people I need Help!

I would love to try to breed some. Great project for spring. There is a show in Dec. Maybe I could find a breeder of GLW.

Hi Cynthia

Suede looks like a fine big boy - I am sure that he would manage with L! If you did do that, I think you would have to remove him from the breeding pen periodically - perhaps a couple of days with her and then a couple of days out, because of the difference in size. You would then find that some of her eggs are not filled, of course. Another way might be to add her to the breeding pen if he is already with a couple of blue/black/splash girls - you would be able to identify her eggs. We find we have to keep a careful eye on matters here if we have a large Orp boy with smallish girls and make sure that no damage comes to her (the larger boys can be 12lb). We find that the hens generally have to wear a protective saddle. Perhaps best to get some expert genetic advice first, though, before risking her. I am sorry if I sound like I am preaching to the converted - I am sure you have been breeding Orps for years!

As luck would have it I have 12 GLW in the brooder right now. Will see if any come up with single combs. I would love to partner up with someone who has more experience with genetics and breeding to help develop.......... any takers?
I have long had a fancy for thoses birds, just not experienced enough to feel confident to attempt it on my own.

I did notice, but they are for local pick up only. NC and Maine, a little too far for me!
smile.png

Teresa, thanks for the suggestions. I probably won't put her in with his harem to stay because the main flock rooster, my Barred Rock, would probably bash himself against the fence over and over just because one of his women was in with his Big Blue Enemy, LOL. He won't mate her, but he sure wouldn't want Suede to have her. I'll see what I can do and maybe, if a mating takes place, just go ahead in a couple of days and incubate one of her eggs, to see what we get.

Cynthia - others will no doubt come in and confirm here but as far as I remember a cockerel needs to stay with a hen for 3 weeks at least before eggs are fertile. Perhaps they could have a "love nest" away from the flock somewhere for a month or so - then the other chap wouldn't have to witness the goings on!

Teresa,

If you were going to do Silver Laced Orpingtons, how would you do it?

Everyone else,

Does it matter which breed the father and which breed the mother is for a cross (GlW roo to Buff orp. or Buff orp roo to Glw ) Does it matter wich way you go? Will the outcome be the same?

Does this make sense?

Adam

Teresa, that three weeks is for the sperm of the former rooster to leave the body and to be sure the current rooster is the sire of the chicks. After a mating, an egg can be fertile in just a couple of days. And I'm almost 100% positive that Lorelei's eggs have never been fertile. I dont have anywhere to separate them anyway.

Quote:
I asked the same question a few posts up...no response yet. I don't know why but I think it should be a orp rooster with glw or slw hen...that could be wrong, but every since this topic started I've been researching the web like crazy and all the crossings I have read about started with a buff roo...

Back
Top Bottom