Genetics people I need Help!

I may be getting a black orpington pullet from bama's line and I am in the search for the best silver laced single combed wyandotte roo I can find. Is that what you used for you SL project?

Last edited:
Quote:
Your roo is looking quite nice...have you been working this for 2 years now? Do you have any pictures of your SLO projects?

I am actually into four years on the Golden Laced birds and three into the Silver Laced. My silver laced started from some type of throw back which may have been where the project went off track. I almost scrapped the whole project of Silver Laced last fall, however I decided to keep just a few and continue this year. I will see if I can get some picture of the Silver Laced this weekend. Like I said I am not pleased with how they are progressing and they are very much a work in progress. Thanks for the kind words and good luck with your project.

Josh44

I believe there are a few people looking at importing and I understand that there may already be some imported Golden Laced Orpingtons. The cost and red tape is out of most of our reach. Even with the imported birds it will still be nice to have birds within the United States that will allow for cross breeding to broaden the genetic base.

JenEric Farms

"Would it be easier to create the silver laced with the wyandotte or the cochin? Any thoughts on this?"

I would like to let everyone know once again that I am not a genetic expert by any means. I can only offer information based on my research and experiences.

With the Cochins you have the size and fluffy feathers but must deal with the feathered feet. The Wyandottes you would have to deal with the comb and then breed to get the size and form of the Orpingtons. This of course does not take into consideration comb shape, skin color, leg color, and many other things that are standards for a breed.

I guess if I was choosing between the two I would myself go with the Wyandottes. The comb should be pretty easy to overcome by selection. I found in the Golden project that the size issue pretty easy to overcome also with selection. Get the nicest birds that you can find to start the project. Bama's Orpingtons are superior so would be a super good start. Anyway you go, expect it to be a lot of work and several years of selection to get a bird that is standard to the breed.

I am still waiting to see someone post how the Jubilee project is going.

Back
Top Bottom