Genetics people I need Help!

I have two blue cockeral chicks about 3 weeks old that I am happy about as Blue boy will be two in June. I think I have hatched my first splash pullet. All the splash I have ever hatched have been Cockerals. I have more in the bator if I didn't kill the eggs by forgeting to turn the eggturner on for three days. I have a nice young Black cockeral about 4 months old now and he is typey. I am wathcing to see how he turns out. I need a black cockeral. This is the first year I feel like I am making progress with my Orps.

Jubilee and silver laced. Years away from the final goal of course, but having the stock to select from and a very lucky break on a rooster I REALLY wanted has helped.

Being able to work with a few other breeders would be nice but, that may come in time too.

It is surprising how many projects are out there developing different colors. FINDING them is the hard part.

Good gawd, that rooster is GORGEOUS. I can't believe I'm saying this about a rooster! LOL
lol.png

Wow, I missed alot since my post on this thread. Ok, well you should use a laced roo on solid hens, a black or blue roo on silver hens will make sexlinks. Looking at the UK orps, they look alot like cochins to me. It would be fster to breed out the feathered feet than it would be to breed out the wyandotte type. There are some good silver laced and golden laced cochins out there. Also if you wanted to try the lemon cuckoo, there are barred cochins in largefowl. The reason we dont have all the colors of orps here is because the wyandottes and OEGB are basically our equivilent of orps as far as popularity. It would be cool to see some other colors of orps here other than the black/blue/splash, buff, and whites.

I was going to work on the Golden Laced but decided it would be better if I tried to help perserve the colours we already have in the US. I know you can get white for hatcherys such as MM, but true quality WHITE Orpingtons are hard to find and I only know of five breeders in the US with good Exhibition stock.
sad.png
I should have some chicks coming later this spring!!

Just a thought - the breeding program for gold laced Orps is much more advanced in Europe than in the UK, and they have well marked gold laced Orps with the proper exhibition quality and type. If you wanted to try to import hatching eggs, it would be much more sensible, I feel, to try to source them in Europe from a large breeder who knows what it takes to export.

I understand that the best countries for these birds are Belgium and Germany, and there may be others.

I myself would love to hear who the top breeders/exhibitors of gold laced Orps are in Europe - I have had no success trying to google this information, probably because of the language barrier. So how about forumers who speak European languages such as French or German do a little searching on the net - I would love to see some photos of the really top-class birds, and I would also like to know if the very top breeders attend an annual sale which as far as I know happens in Belgium in September - (yes, I am thinking of going, there is red tape and forms to fill in but it is possible to purchase birds/eggs there and bring them home (to the UK) if the vet is happy).

Happy hatching:)
smile.png
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom