Genetics please - how to Create Creole

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by paintedpoultry, Jul 9, 2008.

1. paintedpoultry

paintedpoultry Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2007
    Somerset, England
    Hi all

Anyone know how to create creole colouring?

2. fowlafoot

fowlafoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Midwest
    What little I know of chicken color genetics is that the barring you see on Barred Rocks is a barring gene over black and that a Creole pattern is the barring gene over the wild type black breasted red. I also know that the barring gene is sex linked and that the roosters have both copies and the hens only one.

3. ParkerVA

ParkerVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Blue Ridge, VA
    I was told it could be created by breeding a partridge of black breasted red rooster to a barred/cuckoo hen. Then breeding those pullets back to a partridge/bbr rooster. Not sure how many times you need to cross back to the partridge/bbr rooster though.

4. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    The best way is to use a barred cock over black breasted red hens. We started our crele phoenix by using a crele OEGB roo on a BBR hen, bred the one chick from that (pullet) to a BBR roo which made a 'double' sexlink, the males are crele with light legs and the females are BBR with blue legs. We will keep the best rooster and breed it back to BBR hens to get better type and leg color.
    What breed do you want it in? If you want crele rocks or wyandottes it would be best to use welsummer hens with a barred rooster.

You can make a type of crele with partridge and barred, the males would be correct but the females would have the pencilling which isnt really crele, it would be more like barred partridge if anything.

5. urbanagrarian

urbanagrarian Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Massachusetts
    What exactly is creole? Can someone post a link to a photo. I've always been confused about this color. Is is barring on red?

6. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
  7. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    [​IMG]

-Kim

8. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    [​IMG]

9. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    This is just an assumption on my part but I know Teresa breeds Orpingtons so I would imagine that is what she is curious about, but I could be wrong.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by