Genetics please - how to Create Creole

What little I know of chicken color genetics is that the barring you see on Barred Rocks is a barring gene over black and that a Creole pattern is the barring gene over the wild type black breasted red. I also know that the barring gene is sex linked and that the roosters have both copies and the hens only one.

I was told it could be created by breeding a partridge of black breasted red rooster to a barred/cuckoo hen. Then breeding those pullets back to a partridge/bbr rooster. Not sure how many times you need to cross back to the partridge/bbr rooster though.

The best way is to use a barred cock over black breasted red hens. We started our crele phoenix by using a crele OEGB roo on a BBR hen, bred the one chick from that (pullet) to a BBR roo which made a 'double' sexlink, the males are crele with light legs and the females are BBR with blue legs. We will keep the best rooster and breed it back to BBR hens to get better type and leg color.
What breed do you want it in? If you want crele rocks or wyandottes it would be best to use welsummer hens with a barred rooster.

You can make a type of crele with partridge and barred, the males would be correct but the females would have the pencilling which isnt really crele, it would be more like barred partridge if anything.

KaizerCreleOEGBtyCkl.JPEG

-Kim

This is just an assumption on my part but I know Teresa breeds Orpingtons so I would imagine that is what she is curious about, but I could be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom