Genetics question for Experts

shellybean40

Songster
13 Years
Apr 15, 2010
Boerne, TX
I have a small backyard flock and have decided to keep a Rooster. I have 2 EE Roos that are 11 weeks old. These are really barnyard mixes that were hatched from green eggs. One of the roos is black with a red, large comb and black legs, the other is reddish with blueish tail feathers with a Peacomb. Both are crowing nonstop. The reddish boy is my favorite, but he has a very long neck and came down with a case of wry neck a few weeks ago. We cured it with vitamins and TLC, but is this a genetics thing? Would we be setting ourselves up for chicks with a tendancy toward wry neck?? My daughter asked this question and I thought I would throw it out there for you experts.

First off am no where near an expert as you posted this for the genetic experts, But. If I was going to raise chicks for pleasure or the betterment of my chicken flock, I would not consider useing a rooster that has had any major problems. It may or may not be genetic. But it still is a flaw in this rooster, and I have always tried to not breed out of flawed birds.

If you cured it with vitamins, it is not likely genetic. I had a hen once who got wry neck. I came to realize that she was sensitive to the thiamine blocker in chick feed (used to prevent cocci). Once I removed her from medicated chick feed and put her on vitamins for 2 wks, she fully recovered without any future issues. I believe the vitamin deficiency (in this case thiamine) caused the problem and once that was resolved, she was fine.

Back
Top Bottom