Genetics question for Experts

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by shellybean40, Jun 30, 2011.

1. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    I have a small backyard flock and have decided to keep a Rooster. I have 2 EE Roos that are 11 weeks old. These are really barnyard mixes that were hatched from green eggs. One of the roos is black with a red, large comb and black legs, the other is reddish with blueish tail feathers with a Peacomb. Both are crowing nonstop. The reddish boy is my favorite, but he has a very long neck and came down with a case of wry neck a few weeks ago. We cured it with vitamins and TLC, but is this a genetics thing? Would we be setting ourselves up for chicks with a tendancy toward wry neck?? My daughter asked this question and I thought I would throw it out there for you experts.

2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Quote:Could be a genetic thing, personally I wouldn't use him.

3. Oldhound

Oldhound Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2011
    South Carolina
    Shellybean40 Do a BYC search , Limber neck, Wry neck. Lots of info

4. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    Wait! You cured it by vitamins? Then it shouldn't be genetic.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    "Wry neck" is a name for a symptom that can be caused by a number of different things--everything from head trauma, illness, botulism poisoning, poor nutrition, etc.

6. old*cowboy

old*cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    arapaho, okla.
    First off am no where near an expert as you posted this for the genetic experts, But. If I was going to raise chicks for pleasure or the betterment of my chicken flock, I would not consider useing a rooster that has had any major problems. It may or may not be genetic. But it still is a flaw in this rooster, and I have always tried to not breed out of flawed birds.

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    If you cured it with vitamins, it is not likely genetic. I had a hen once who got wry neck. I came to realize that she was sensitive to the thiamine blocker in chick feed (used to prevent cocci). Once I removed her from medicated chick feed and put her on vitamins for 2 wks, she fully recovered without any future issues. I believe the vitamin deficiency (in this case thiamine) caused the problem and once that was resolved, she was fine.

8. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    Thank you everyone. I have a lot to think about don't I?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by