Moore head genetics?

Cloverr39

Crowing
Jan 27, 2022
Latvia
Moore head is the gene that causes a black head in (most commonly) partridge chickens, right? I believe I have a few. I have 2 blue silkies with silver leakage or silver partridge or something like that and 2 silver penciled project hens. For simplicity I'll call them silver penciled, but they have some other things going on too, so I don't really know what they would actually be considered.

The father of all but 1 (one of the silver penciled hens) is a dominant white silkie rooster with red/buff leakage. I got him from hatching eggs and the flock he came from did have Moore head partridge hens. The blue Moore head silkies hatched from white roo x blue cuckoo hen, so I believe it came from the rooster.

Question 1: Does it show up on roosters? I'm assuming it doesn't because partridge is only really expressed in females. I'm trying to figure out if my cockerel has it or not. His father is the white silkie and mother is an Isabel brahma.

Question 2: I'm trying to breed for it. What are the genetics that cause it and how does it act in breeding? Is it dominant, recessive, something elelse?

Question 3: I bred a silver penciled hen that has a black head to the dominant white silkie rooster. The outcome was (amongst many dominant whites) one pullet without a black head and one with it, but with less black than her mother. The pullet had black only down to about the back of her eye and down her beard, but her mother has black going further down her neck.
Why does the daughter have less black and is it possible to breed for the amount or quality of the black on their heads?

I can post pictures of any of the birds mentioned if needed.

Question 1: Does it show up on roosters? I'm assuming it doesn't because partridge is only really expressed in females. I'm trying to figure out if my cockerel has it or not. His father is the white silkie and mother is an Isabel brahma.
Yes, and this is a partridge male
46A5BEB4-9781-42B5-B569-2C14478937DE.jpeg

Question 2: I'm trying to breed for it. What are the genetics that cause it and how does it act in breeding? Is it dominant, recessive, something elelse?
Charcoal, a recessive gene
Question 3: I bred a silver penciled hen that has a black head to the dominant white silkie rooster. The outcome was (amongst many dominant whites) one pullet without a black head and one with it, but with less black than her mother. The pullet had black only down to about the back of her eye and down her beard, but her mother has black going further down her neck.
Why does the daughter have less black and is it possible to breed for the amount or quality of the black on their heads?
It is a variable trait that can be selected to be more or less just like anything else. Charcoal markings also can be restricted to a smaller area by the darkbrown/ginger gene.

Yes, and this is a partridge maleView attachment 3665369
Charcoal, a recessive gene
It is a variable trait that can be selected to be more or less just like anything else. Charcoal markings also can be restricted to a smaller area by the darkbrown/ginger gene.
Thank you.
Do you think this cockerel has it? His beard is black and there's a bit of black on top of his head but not his whole head.
IMG-20231020-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20230826-WA0026.jpg

I've gotten moore head on Buff Orpington/Australorp crosses on the hens though.
20201106_202436.jpg
20201106_202359.jpg

I don't think it's related to charcoal, since I've gotten these from charcoal. They're from my black to white experiment. Mother is a Cuckoo EE.
Charcoal gave this boy a Brassy Back appearance. He is partridge, just very Melanized.
VideoCapture_20231022-191315.jpg
One of his sisters.
20230722_185301.jpg

I've got a couple of Moore Head blue partridge Silkie hens from a Moore Head Splash/Calico Rooster X White Silkie hen.
20201019_140905.jpg

Interesting subject indeed. I've also been curious about Moore Head.

I've gotten moore head on Buff Orpington/Australorp crosses on the hens though.View attachment 3665870View attachment 3665871

I don't think it's related to charcoal, since I've gotten these from charcoal. They're from my black to white experiment. Mother is a Cuckoo EE.
Charcoal gave this boy a Brassy Back appearance. He is partridge, just very Melanized. View attachment 3665872One of his sisters. View attachment 3665877
I've got a couple of Moore Head blue partridge Silkie hens from a Moore Head Splash/Calico Rooster X White Silkie hen.View attachment 3665879

Interesting subject indeed. I've also been curious about Moore Head.
Australorps have melanizers and it looks like one of them could be charcoal, then.

Back
Top Bottom