Is there a name for lavender silver penciled?

That's what I thought. I own an isabel hen. It's lavender on gold penciled.
I guess the question I have is if I made lavender silver penciled with charcoal a variety in the breed could I call it Isabel or would that be wrong, since isabel is a slightly different combination of genes? If not, should I use the full name when describing the color or make a name up?
I’ve seen isabel used for both silver and gold penciled, but I’ve also seen it used for other varieties (like lavender duckwing) too. So it might be best to just call them lavender silver penciled. I wouldn’t do a made up name, but if you want to shorten it you could say something like silver isabel and just clarify the full name to anyone who wants more info. I wouldn’t add the “with charcoal” unless someone asks for more info.

Not being overly familiar with the behavior of the charcoal gene beyond that it's a melanizing gene, I do wonder how it would impact the cleanness of the penciling overall.
I have also yet to find out how clean I can get the penciling. At the moment it is very messy due to crossing penciled to non-penciled birds. Though I do wonder, does charcoal add something that would make the penciling become messier or harder to get right? Still trying to learn everything about the genes I'm trying to work with here 😅 So far I haven't been able to find much on charcoal.
I’ve seen isabel used for both silver and gold penciled, but I’ve also seen it used for other varieties (like lavender duckwing) too. So it might be best to just call them lavender silver penciled. I wouldn’t do a made up name, but if you want to shorten it you could say something like silver isabel and just clarify the full name to anyone who wants more info. I wouldn’t add the “with charcoal” unless someone asks for more info.
That's good advice, thanks.

Though I do wonder, does charcoal add something that would make the penciling become messier?

To be completely honest, I don't know. I know that Ml, another melanizing gene, darkens what would otherwise be penciling into the double-laced pattern that Barnevelders have. But I don't honestly know the behavior of charcoal as a melanizer, if it only concentrates to the head as in Black-Crested White Polish or if it can impact the rest of the plumage as well in other plumage patterns, so I couldn't really say. That's why I was wondering about that as well. 🤔

Back
Top Bottom