Is there a name for lavender silver penciled?

Cloverr39

Crowing
Jan 27, 2022
Latvia
I'd love to breed some lavender silver penciled chickens with black heads (which will be barely noticeable with the lavender, but still.) and I want to know if there is a name for that color or is it just called lavender silver penciled (or in my case, lav. silver penciled with charcoal)?
Thanks!

I don't think there is one, I would call that more of a mixed color than anything. Then again, there are so many chicken colors it is hard for anyone to remember them all.
I figured it would be a mixed color, but since I'm planning on it being one of the varieties in a new breed I'm working on, it's worth asking if the color has an actual name. These days I feel like there are so many names for unofficial colors that it's impossible to keep track of them all.

I think the closest term you would get is isabel/isabella partridge
That's what I thought. I own an isabel hen. It's lavender on gold penciled.
I guess the question I have is if I made lavender silver penciled with charcoal a variety in the breed could I call it Isabel or would that be wrong, since isabel is a slightly different combination of genes? If not, should I use the full name when describing the color or make a name up?

That's what I thought. I own an isabel hen. It's lavender on gold penciled.
I guess the question I have is if I made lavender silver penciled with charcoal a variety in the breed could I call it Isabel or would that be wrong, since isabel is a slightly different combination of genes? If not, should I use the full name when describing the color or make a name up?
I would suggest either use the full name when describing the color to stop confusion from starting, or make a name up. Calling a bird Isabella when it is not exactly Isabella is incorrect. And don't worry about the name sounding weird if you do make one up, there is weird names such as furness.

Lavender silver penciled. That's what I'd call it, anyway, but I'm not into the weird, 'fancy', non-descriptive names that some varieties like Isabel get. You can't get a variety confused if it's just called exactly what it is, after all! And similar varieties are named similarly, for example Blue Silver Laced in Orpingtons and Wyandottes.

Also, Jacin is correct, the darkened head from charcoal would be diluted to lavender if that gene is expressed. However, based on the wording in the first post, I get the impression that Cloverr is aware of that. 😉 Not being overly familiar with the behavior of the charcoal gene beyond that it's a melanizing gene, I do wonder how it would impact the cleanness of the penciling overall.

Back
Top Bottom