gentle bantams for my daughter

bnbz gurlz

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 21, 2012
I am wanting to get some bantams for my daughter to raise and was wondering what would be some gentle breeds for her

Keep in mind that Bantams can be a little more flighty than certain full size breeds, but you won't go wrong with silkies. Also, it matters who you get the birds from. Your local feed store or big commercial breeders don't select for 'pleasantness', but reproduction. Try to find a local person who cares well for his/her birds and breeds his friendly chickens!

In my experience cochins and silkies have been among the calmest most gentle breeds.

I agree. We've got bantam cochins and they ( I should say, the hens for sure- we have one mean roo, so I don't know about them) are the sweetest things. They are talkative (the pleasant, not loud type), friendly birds. And- may I add- they lay pretty well, too. We also have loved the two Japanese bantams we've had. They are super gentle and so sweet. One of ours, Willow, is tame enough for a young child to hold. She'll fall asleep in your arms; she's just a doll. We also have a Red Pyle OEGB, who is such a character. All three of them were fine setters and great mama hens. We are so thankful for them; they really show the good side of chickens! :) I haven't had that great of an experience with the bantam Wyandotte or bantam Buff Brahmas. The Brahma lays really well, but she's not really a people-chicken, if that makes sense. Our Wyandotte was quite skittish, too. Hope this helps! :)

Is there a reason you want bantams? I just wanted to say my daughter (6 yrs.) loves our LF Light Brahma hens. She carries them all over the place.

I too would say silkie or cochin bantams but I have no first hand experience it is just what I have heard from people.

Japanese bantams are precious. We have a tiny little Japanese bantam that loves to be carried around. -sweet, sweet bird. -not flighty. (-would not recommend OEGB for a child to raise. Our little OEGB hen is very independent and flighty. She is a great bird, but not the best suited to being held or carried. She prefers to forage and be left alone.)

Thanks for the suggestions im kinda thinking of some ees cochins and Japanese i appreciate your input on it

Back
Top Bottom