gentleman rooster

dakotasnake

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 21, 2008
I have 7 roosters rite now { far to many ] and will thin the heard a bit for the 30 or so hens. i was undecided just which 2 or 3 to keep untill i opened up the mostly harvested garden for them to pick thru. one rooster [ a spangled hamburg, smallest of all the roosters] found a nice fat worm in the garden an was just holding it in his beak making a weird clucking sound untill a hen came over and he layed it at her feet and of course she ate it. a few hrs. later all the birds were in the barn just b4 dark except 2 hens that were behind the house a few hundred feet from the barn. i was about to heard them to the barn and close it up for the nite when this same rooster came out of the barn, went directly behind the house and hearded the hens back to the roost just b4 dark. this will be one rooster that will remain when a few of the others will go. has anyone seen any simular behavor in there roosters?

I have bantam cochins and Mr. Blue is a real gentleman and takes very good care of his ladies. Actually all of the roos that I have had were great for finding food for the girls and watching the sky for hawks. As of yet, I have not seen this behavior in my RC RIRs but they are just 5 months old and not ready for the girls quite yet. I bet though that when they start wanting some attention from the girls they will learn just how to treat them to get what they want.
thumbsup.gif

i have heard of roosters doing this and waited for it, but not seen it in person. my boy duck though will beat anybody off the girls and always lets them eat first. well, during laying season anyway. lol. i would love a rooster with manners.

I have 5 roosters all together, 2 bantam cochins, 1 dutch/cochin mix and 2 serama roos. The best by far is crash the white cochin roo. He refuses to eat ANY treats i put out for the girls, he takes them and makes the clucking sound and pretty soon all the girls flock around him and take his treats right out of his beak. He is such a sweety, he gets in the nesting boxes and digs the girls a nice nest to lay in and then hangs out right next to them until they are done then rewards them with treats he finds in the yard. We have several hens and he makes sure to have 1 on 1 time with each of them everyday so no one feels left out LOL. Here is a pic of him and his girl ginger.
10663_img_0043.jpg

Last edited:
I have one cochin roo who is used as a chick setter. He takes over when the ma hens have had enough of the younguns. The roo continues to show the chicks how to find food, to roost at night, and when the girls get old enough, he shows them where to lay their eggs and how to make a nest. He has got to be the most frustrated roo in town though because when the girls get ready to lay, they are put in another pen with another roo.
th.gif

Just last night I watched as 2 of the girls he raised to sexual maturity visited with him from outside the chick pen. He talked to them and even did his little dance. They hung out with him, from outside the pen, for a long time. He then watched them return to their pen and the other roo. Poor guy! I keep telling him it is better than the alternative.
lau.gif

I never thought they (roosters) could be such gentlemen, but our Nikki Roo a buff cochin is like that with our girls. In the morning when they are let out of the coop...he is the last one out its like he's counting tails as they go out. And they get treats every morning if some of the girls have already taken off to the garden or the way back yard and didnt know there where treats he will call them all back and will not eat till they are all there and get some.
I have yet to see him watch the skys for his flock, but then again the huge tree cover in our yard keeps them safe.
But on the other hand he had some issues with me for a while, when ever I would get near HIS girls he would run around and try to "get" what ever chicken was standng closest to me. Like showing me what he can do that I cant.

btw Chickenaddict Crash is handsome!! is he standard?

Last edited:
My roosters, particularly my cuckoo marans, will wait for all the ladies to go into the coop and then he hangs around outside for a few minutes, pacing back and forth looking around before he goes in for the night.
I was very impressed by this, since I had no prior experience with roos before.

my Rusty is that way too... quite the gentleman.

I have a 5 month old RIR.. and one rooster must go.

DH wants to keep Rose the RIR.... I want Rusty because he is tried and true.

Time will tell.

oh, another reason to keep Rusty is that he is between bantam and standard size and I have bantam hens. I am afraid that Rose will squash them when he matures!

I have seven roos also and can't part with any of them LOL It's so hard. I have them all separate and they all have their own flock of hens and are all good roosters. I bet it will be hard for you to choose.

Quote:
Thank you Gopherboy!
big_smile.png
He is a bantam but strutts around like the biggest chicken in the world. He is however not so good with kids so if there is any around he has to be in lockdown.

Back
Top Bottom