Genuine Freedom Ranger Chicks Available

Quote:
I'm with you
hu.gif
idunno.gif

Freedom Rangers are/were alternatives to raising the Cornish Cross and Jumbo Cornish Crosses which you get from retail hatcheries. The Freedom Rangers people trademarked the name and marketed the broilers which they got breeding stock from Hubbard (a large breeder in France/EU).

Basically, in England (and all of the EU I believe), an organic chicken must be 81 days old. If you were to raise a Murray McMurray jumbo Cornish to 81 days it would be either dead or about 15 lbs live weight. So, these genetics were created for slower growing meat chickens. The advantage to being slower growing are increased disease resistance, fewer health problems, ability to stay feathered, etc. They're simply awesome birds.

You are trading bascially two weeks of life for more vigorous broilers. It costs you no more monetarily as the FCR of the birds is identical to the standard USA cornish cross broilers. If anything they save you money as you have less mortality.

You can still find related birds, the Red Broilers marketed under the "Red Bro" label at JM Hatchery. Also, Yankee Chicks carries the same broilers as Freedom Rangers (just under a different name).

Once again Greyfields YOU ARE GREAT!! Nice posts and thanks for the info. You should see our saging Mesh netting... my husband is going nuts about it.. LOL I thought I'd try and get info. and I think the best thing to do is get some posts. We have several T-posts and the twin idea is GREAT!!
smile.png

I'll tell him when he gets home
smile.png

GREAT job with the "What is a Freedom Ranger" Post!!
smile.png

Hats off to all of your knowledge and thanks for being on this Forum. You help people like me who don't have a clue to get through the early parts of raising the chickens and making it much more fun!!

God Bless you Greyfields and your family,

Ann

Quote:
I'm with you
hu.gif
idunno.gif

Freedom Rangers are/were alternatives to raising the Cornish Cross and Jumbo Cornish Crosses which you get from retail hatcheries. The Freedom Rangers people trademarked the name and marketed the broilers which they got breeding stock from Hubbard (a large breeder in France/EU).

Basically, in England (and all of the EU I believe), an organic chicken must be 81 days old. If you were to raise a Murray McMurray jumbo Cornish to 81 days it would be either dead or about 15 lbs live weight. So, these genetics were created for slower growing meat chickens. The advantage to being slower growing are increased disease resistance, fewer health problems, ability to stay feathered, etc. They're simply awesome birds.

You are trading bascially two weeks of life for more vigorous broilers. It costs you no more monetarily as the FCR of the birds is identical to the standard USA cornish cross broilers. If anything they save you money as you have less mortality.

You can still find related birds, the Red Broilers marketed under the "Red Bro" label at JM Hatchery. Also, Yankee Chicks carries the same broilers as Freedom Rangers (just under a different name).

Dear Greyfields,

What is "Yankee Chicks" ?? I tried to do a search for that on Google and didn't get very far. Is that the name of the Farm / company? Do you have a web address for them? Where are they located?

Thanks again and God Bless,

Ann

Quote:

Thank you for the interesting explanation, I do not do meat birds so maybe that is why I have never heard of them.
It would make a nice horse name, has a good ring to it.

Quote:
Yankee Chicks, Inc/Hall Brothers Hatchery
P.O. Box 1026
Norwich, CT 06360
860-886-2421 or 860-608-1389
860-889-6351 FAX

Thank you for the compliments.

Quote:
Hi Ann,

I swear by electronetting. I have used various brands and for me, personally, nothing beats Premier's products (however, I know that there are a lot of people who swear by Kencove fencing, too, so whatever works best for you). I splurged this year and got new fencing -- their 4' high poultry netting. I opted to go with the double spike stakes (if I remember correctly, it cost me $10 extra per 160' roll -- but well worth the added cost, in my opinion). No longer do I have to fight the battle of pounding those fiberglass stakes into the ground with a mallet to make them stay up -- but then fighting against that same post to try to pull it out when I move it. These are step in posts that I can easily move.

I brace my corners with twine to make it stand up nice and straight. I just run a twine from the fiberglass post and attach it to something solid -- usually just a spare fiberglass fence post pounded in at an angle -- for support. (Just don't be as stupid as I was, though -- I was tying my twine angles and leaned against a metal fenc post from another fence for support. I don't know what I was thinking...but now I know why Mr. Fox stays away from the birds! Ouch!! It was one heckuva zap.)

We just built a lightweight tractor for shelter in the pen. (I'm not sure if I would even call it a tractor -- it is really a 3 sided lean to made of lightweight corrugated steel on a frame of 2x4's.) The nice thing about the electronetting is that I don't have to lock my birds up at night. I leave one side of the lean to open and they can range in and out of it freely within the confines of the fencing. It works great!

Quote:

Hi Ann,

No...I have not contacted him (or his neighbor) directly, as I have all the birds I need. I was just sharing his info which was shared with me by a friend of his in Wisconsin who was trying to help him out.

I keep thinking that his poor neighbor must be going crazy with the phone calls, though, as it sounds like there have been a lot of folks who have called them. I will keep you posted if I get any other info.

Back
Top Bottom