George, tell me again about the rabbits

In my experience. I have had rabbits a lot. They need straw in the back, and don't touch their babies cause they don't like human smell. Also, their poop can be mixed into your dirt for gardening. That does really really well. Their urine has beneficial things too. Can't remember how. Seen that on the Preppers show. If you butcher your own, don't let the mother see you do it cause she will not produce anymore or will kill anymore she has.

In my experience. I have had rabbits a lot. They need straw in the back, and don't touch their babies cause they don't like human smell. Also, their poop can be mixed into your dirt for gardening. That does really really well. Their urine has beneficial things too. Can't remember how. Seen that on the Preppers show. If you butcher your own, don't let the mother see you do it cause she will not produce anymore or will kill anymore she has.

I was with you on all of this... was even thinkin' drinking rabbit pee sounded like a good idea...

....but then you sneaked that last part in there about the momma bunny shutting down the bunny factory if she watches the butchering... and you lost me.

I'm not saying you're wrong... I have no clue one way or another... I've just never heard of such a thing?

I'll have to ask my sister if she's heard this.... she's been raising bunnies forever and butcher's her own... but I doubt she's ever done it right in front of the momma though

We done it once and one momma bunny just quit producing. We started butchering away from them after that. After a while of doing it, we decided to quit cause it was just to sad. They are really good eating though. I miss fried rabbit and rabbit meatloaf. I need to shut up. I'm making myself hungry

We done it once and one momma bunny just quit producing. We started butchering away from them after that. After a while of doing it, we decided to quit cause it was just to sad. They are really good eating though. I miss fried rabbit and rabbit meatloaf. I need to shut up. I'm making myself hungry

That's interesting, I wonder if there is a biological reason to it.

My sister used to sell the little bunnies to snake people (pythons and boas, etc) and she quit because it made her sad too.

Sorry I never got back.

I've only seen the pet side of rabbits, but I'd never see them as a pain or mean! Even if I didn't own my two, rabbit owners like on Instagram I've looked at always have nice rabbits.

I'm sorry to hear that. I think what you're doing is very admirable!

I just finished reading a book on rabbits called Storeys Guide to Raising Rabbits. It was very comprehensive listing everything from building hutches, barns, and cages to how to market your rabbitry. I highly recommend it. Ive decided to start based on his advice with two bucks and two does. I want to raise New Zealands and assuming I can find a breeder...Rex Chinchillas. I believe these will fit all my needs. Good advice on seperating the cages. We plan to use the design concept from this book in which cages are suspended by s hooks and seperated by slanted fiberglass so the poop falls down. Im gonna get a book on worm farming next for composting all the manure into fine dirt.

Sorry I never got back.

I've only seen the pet side of rabbits, but I'd never see them as a pain or mean! Even if I didn't own my two, rabbit owners like on Instagram I've looked at always have nice rabbits.

I'm sorry to hear that. I think what you're doing is very admirable!
Thank you! Ive been told by sooooo many people that know nothing about rabbits the wrong facts. Someone told me you cant eat them before the first frost...well...that is true...of wild rabbits. I was also told rabbits eat carrots and lettuce. But...if you give that to young rabbits you could cause diarrhea. Thats why I love this site. There is too much ignorance out there and not enough knowledge. I think we need to all be good people and spread our knowledge to others. Id like to hold classes on my property to teach others when Im all set up.

Back
Top Bottom