Georgette or George?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Huskeriowa, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Huskeriowa

Huskeriowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Iowa
    My Coop
    Hi all,

I ordered 8 chicks that are now 23 weeks old. One was a male and I re-homed it and now I am concerned that I have another male in the group. I have two australorps and one looks nothing like the other. The one I am concerned about seems to have a huge comb and waddles, and is the larger and more dominant. Additionally is has started to sort of screem the past couple of weeks. It isnt crowing but the scream is like nothing any of the rest of them do. So... can you tell by the pictures if I have a problem?

The first picture is of the australorp that I know is a female.

[​IMG]

These pictures are of the offender. It looks very little like the first bird.

][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for any help

2. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Wow, this is a hard one but I am thinking you have a roo there, only because I had an Australorp who matured really late too, I thought it was a hen for a really long time but it just got its saddle feathers really late.

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I vote pullet. Although I must agree, that's a serious stance and size going on there.

4. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    roo

5. lleighmay

lleighmay Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Girl. Should be just about ready to lay. The two BAs I used to have matured at very different rates but looked just like that and were both pullets. I don't see any sign of hackle or saddle feathers. Enjoy your birds- BAs have great personalities :)

6. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Hmm. I'm not seeing any pointy or draping saddle or hackle feathers at all there. Its tail also doesn't look roo-ish at all. But on the other hand it does have very big and red comb and wattles compared with the other one. I think maybe it's just a loudmouth dominant female. Please come back once you find out for sure and let us know.

7. Huskeriowa

Huskeriowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Iowa
    My Coop
    I guess time will tell. I can't imagine what the egg song will be like on her if it is a hen when you can already hear her screaming 200 feet away. I have been looking for differences in the feathers between the two birds. The only differences I see are that the bird in question has its wings pointed downward more and the feathers on the back and tail seem to be fuller which I guess probably isn't an indication of anything. Thanks again for the help!

8. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    100% pullet!

9. Theeggboxtoo

Theeggboxtoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Alabama
    Quote:X 2

10. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps