German Faverolles in ... Germany

Anaray

Songster
Jun 1, 2018
Germany
Hello, my name is Ana and since I have been lurking for way too long, I need to introduce myself. :frow

We had chickens when I was a teenager, but they were just "there" for me. When I moved out and we (me and the then boyfriend) went back to visit my mom in Belgium, it was clear that at some point we would have chickens. We bought a house and after a couple of years, it was time. So at some point I started making room for a coop/run to force him into the build. ;)

I wanted a heritage breed that was native to Germany and came across the German Faverolles. I even found a breeder not too far away, but he did not have any extra pullets at the time. I started looking everywhere, even France, to no avail. But luckily my first breeder went through another selection and was able to give me 5 salmon Faverolles and one white Faverolles. That was 2 years ago.

Unfortunately, the white pullet did not live very long. Another hen had to be culled a couple of weeks ago. She was deteriorating quickly and it was time to let her go. This year I went to the same breeder and asked for more white hens, which he said he did not breed anymore, but he could give me eggs. So 9 eggs wandered into a Brinsea Mini Advance. 2 were not fertile and all other 7 hatched. End result? 1 pullet, 6 roosters.

Since the pullet shouldn't be alone when she moved to the others, I asked the breeder if he had a Blue Salmon girl for me, which he did. What else did he have? White! So one of each moved in.

Initially, we did not want a rooster, but a friend thought differently and put one in our run while I was at work. Since then, I have been through a Brahma (got sick), an Araucana (did not develop properly and passed before he was 1) and another Araucana which we removed from the flock. I really liked the idea of an Araucana-Faverolles cross, but the eggs were all infertile. He had trouble staying on the hens and even tore one's back open. I had 6 white Faverolles rooster, so one of them was chosen to stay. He is now my current rooster and will hopefully produce some pretty offspring next year.

Our initial flock:

31462761mz.jpg

Our current flock:

From top to bottom: Aya, Shiro, Charlie
34010220zk.jpg

A very timid girl, Shai

33945621um.jpg

Our molting "aunts"

Sophie
33912387mj.jpg

Cleo
33912382jd.jpg

Nina
34007095dt.jpg

I stumbled upon Backyard Chickens years ago ad have been lurking since. There is a wealth of information here and I really admire that the members are always ready to help out and are never accusatory or jump to outrageous conclusions. No matter how many times a question has been answered, it will gladly be answered again.

My fiance and I live in a fairly wooded area in Southern Germany. We also have 3 of our own cats and a stray, which I guess has decided that he belongs here.

As far as hobbies go, I like nature, gardening, cooking and relaxing. :D

I think that is enough from me for now. I will gladly answer any questions.

Wow, those are some beautiful Faverolles. They are definitely worth a breeding program. I'm glad you've joined us at BYC. Sounds like you know most of the ins and outs of the website, so I will just say welcome and enjoy.
Thank you.

I cannot take the credit for the birds, they are all from a breeder. Personally, I am not interested in a breeding program. I don't have the space, nor do I want to have to select to the SOP. I highly respect the breeders' work in keeping the breed up to standard, but for me, I would rather have a faulty comb, or not the right number of toes and have a healthy, hardy bird. With Charlie and Aya, I hope I might get some blue or black chicks. Both are not recognized colors in Germany, so I am rebelling. :D
Hi and welcome :frow:welcome

Love your Faverolles - they are such lovely birds! I have one girl (French obviously as that is where I am!). What is the difference between the German and French ones?
Thank you!

There are 3 types: the original French, the German and the British. I think they mainly have different body types.
Here is a link, in German, but with an illustration at the bottom of the page that shows the 3.

https://www.lachshuhnzucht-herne.com/lachshühner/lachshühner/geschichte/

They really are the sweetest birds with quite some character to them. And even though they seem big, they sure can be fast when it's about food. Also, their sounds are so precious.

Hello, my name is Ana and since I have been lurking for way too long, I need to introduce myself. :frow

We had chickens when I was a teenager, but they were just "there" for me. When I moved out and we (me and the then boyfriend) went back to visit my mom in Belgium, it was clear that at some point we would have chickens. We bought a house and after a couple of years, it was time. So at some point I started making room for a coop/run to force him into the build. ;)

I wanted a heritage breed that was native to Germany and came across the German Faverolles. I even found a breeder not too far away, but he did not have any extra pullets at the time. I started looking everywhere, even France, to no avail. But luckily my first breeder went through another selection and was able to give me 5 salmon Faverolles and one white Faverolles. That was 2 years ago.

Unfortunately, the white pullet did not live very long. Another hen had to be culled a couple of weeks ago. She was deteriorating quickly and it was time to let her go. This year I went to the same breeder and asked for more white hens, which he said he did not breed anymore, but he could give me eggs. So 9 eggs wandered into a Brinsea Mini Advance. 2 were not fertile and all other 7 hatched. End result? 1 pullet, 6 roosters.

Since the pullet shouldn't be alone when she moved to the others, I asked the breeder if he had a Blue Salmon girl for me, which he did. What else did he have? White! So one of each moved in.

Initially, we did not want a rooster, but a friend thought differently and put one in our run while I was at work. Since then, I have been through a Brahma (got sick), an Araucana (did not develop properly and passed before he was 1) and another Araucana which we removed from the flock. I really liked the idea of an Araucana-Faverolles cross, but the eggs were all infertile. He had trouble staying on the hens and even tore one's back open. I had 6 white Faverolles rooster, so one of them was chosen to stay. He is now my current rooster and will hopefully produce some pretty offspring next year.

Our initial flock:

31462761mz.jpg

Our current flock:

From top to bottom: Aya, Shiro, Charlie
34010220zk.jpg

A very timid girl, Shai

33945621um.jpg
:eek:Jun 2, 2018:th
Flash-welcome-byc-farmer-co.gif

Back
Top Bottom