German New Hampshire

Jeremy's pullets really do look nice. I think the combs on mine are a little bit bigger. Maybe the heat thing going on with them like Jeff said. I plan on using a Germain Roos over these pullets and my F-1 Roos over some Germain pullets. See what we get!! I am not really impressed with my F-1 Roos but he will have to do since he is the only one I got.

Scott

Jeremy's pullets really do look nice. I think the combs on mine are a little bit bigger. Maybe the heat thing going on with them like Jeff said. I plan on using a Germain Roos over these pullets and my F-1 Roos over some Germain pullets. See what we get!! I am not really impressed with my F-1 Roos but he will have to do since he is the only one I got.

Scott
I have to agree Scott. I think everything at XWpoultry probly looks nice. Everthing I've seem come from there has, well ... I guess some would say Jeremy probly is hansom too IDK
hide.gif
lol.png

He does an excellent job in matching up mates for breeders it show though his results.
thumbsup.gif

Jeff

Last edited:
Hi. I unexpectedly acquired several New Hampshires as extra chicks in a shipment of another breed. These were my first and only NHs. These are from the Good Shepherd line. I was impressed by their fast rate of growth. They are just about 4 months old right now so haven't started laying. I am especially interested in knowing what would be the difference in "German" NHs over what I have. It appears that the German birds have richer color than these American strains? How do the German birds compare to American birds as layers and growth rate? Thanks!

Last edited:
From what I have seen of my half Good Sheppard pullets they are heavier and more meaty then the Germains. I do not think that anybody knows how they compare in the egg laying department. The GNH do have a richer color. I am sure you will enjoy them as I do mine. But if you do not I will drive down to Texas and get them from you!! LOL

From what I have seen of my half Good Sheppard pullets they are heavier and more meaty then the Germains. I do not think that anybody knows how they compare in the egg laying department. The GNH do have a richer color. I am sure you will enjoy them as I do mine. But if you do not I will drive down to Texas and get them from you!! LOL
I had no interest in this breed before I unexpectedly got these. Right off I noticed they had some really good qualities. For example, they grew faster than most of my other breeds I had. Now that they are several months old and have access to some pasture along with my other 10 or so breeds, I discovered that these NHs are the ones that are always out there first thing in the morning and all day searching for food while most of the other breeds don't venture far from the coop and the food bowls.

I had no interest in this breed before I unexpectedly got these. Right off I noticed they had some really good qualities. For example, they grew faster than most of my other breeds I had. Now that they are several months old and have access to some pasture along with my other 10 or so breeds, I discovered that these NHs are the ones that are always out there first thing in the morning and all day searching for food while most of the other breeds don't venture far from the coop and the food bowls.

I LOVE everything about NH's
big_smile.png

I don't have pure german line...I have the
XW/Jeremy Woepple German/American -good shepherd cross. The breed is not only gorgeous, they are calm and have more 'sense' than just about any other breed I've raised which is many over the past 30 years.
I have seen and handled the pure germans. I definitely prefer the half and half cross and will be breeding these on to F2's forward.

I discovered that these NHs are the ones that are always out there first thing in the morning and all day searching for food while most of the other breeds don't venture far from the coop and the food bowls.

Something to add to what I said above about how good of foragers they are. It's been pouring down rain all day and as usual the dumb chickens are standing out in in the rain instead of getting inside the shelter but the NH's are out actually foraging in the rain while the others are just standing around. lol.

The longer you have these NH the more you will be impressed with them. I know I am. I just love to just stand and watch there movements especially when I first let them out in the morning.

It's cooled a bit here in AZ....and my partner and I just set 8 eggs to test fertility etc. of our #1 male from my late Feb 2013 hatch of German/Good Shepherd amer. cross F1's from XW poultry.

6 of the 8 are large sized eggs even though the females have only been laying 2-3 months. Excellent 'pullet' egg quality and shape-very smooth too. Nice medium brown color as compared to my lighter GSBR hen eggs and the same size or larger too.

I also (for sh*ts & giggles!) set 2 "heritage sex link" eggs
wink.png
...from F1 NH male over 2 GSBR hens.

Fingers crossed we get some development in 5 days.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom