German New Hampshire

Cindy,
Good luck with your hatch!!! I love black sex-link, they are good birds. I might have to try some of them also,in the spring. The five I had hatch are really growing. We were gone for a week and the NH chicks are out doing the Cornation Sussex chicks. I have big hopes for them.

Scott

Cindy,
Good luck with your hatch!!! I love black sex-link, they are good birds. I might have to try some of them also,in the spring. The five I had hatch are really growing. We were gone for a week and the NH chicks are out doing the Cornation Sussex chicks. I have big hopes for them.

Scott

Very cool, Scott! Would love to see some pics of those F2 NH's...I figure 'heritage black sex links' are going to be bigger and more striking then the hatchery kind..should be good layers and good fryers for males...as I've found my half and half NH crosses outlay (dare i blasphemy) the GSBR's 2:1.
wink.png

Someone said that a New Hampshire has to be endowed with "spizzerinktum" and must be unusually handsome and vigorous. These F-1's definitely are all of that.

Someone said that a New Hampshire has to be endowed with "spizzerinktum" and must be unusually handsome and vigorous. These F-1's definitely are all of that.

Great word...and they definitely have plenty of vim and vigor etc.!! Looking forward to candling in a few days...I will be pleased even if only half of the pullet eggs are fertile and developing...as they are only 7 months old. We will get down to teh real hatching 'biz' in Dec/January/Feb most likely. I have some 100 watt LED's for the coops and will set on timers for early morning supplement. Here in AZ it will be decent temps still for brooding which makes it easier to get a real headstart. (-;

Keep us informed on your candling. I do not know much about your weather but just thinking about Az. I think winter would be a good time to brood chicks. I do not like to fight the heat in Ar for brooding

Great word...and they definitely have plenty of vim and vigor etc.!! Looking forward to candling in a few days...I will be pleased even if only half of the pullet eggs are fertile and developing...as they are only 7 months old. We will get down to teh real hatching 'biz' in Dec/January/Feb most likely. I have some 100 watt LED's for the coops and will set on timers for early morning supplement. Here in AZ it will be decent temps still for brooding which makes it easier to get a real headstart. (-;

How exciting! I hope all your eggs are fertile, and have healthy chicks! I remember when mine were born, I was quite taken by their golden orange color, and how active they were. Now, when I look at mine, it is really difficult to believe how fast and big they have grown in such an amazingly short time.
I wish you best of luck with your chicks, and I hope you post photos : )

Lual

Ohh, Scott, I tried but can not annunciate the word "spizzerinktum" ; ) but, it does look very good! What I am experiencing is that; they are very vigorous, constantly on the move, as well as quite sensible birds. When they get excited, they sound like migrating geese.. Even though I have some other birds with the reputation of being colorful as a breed, they can not compete with the brilliant reds and flashing black tails of the NH I have here. I love these birds..

Lual

How exciting! I hope all your eggs are fertile, and have healthy chicks! I remember when mine were born, I was quite taken by their golden orange color, and how active they were. Now, when I look at mine, it is really difficult to believe how fast and big they have grown in such an amazingly short time.
I wish you best of luck with your chicks, and I hope you post photos : )

Lual
Ohh, Scott, I tried but can not annunciate the word "spizzerinktum" ; ) but, it does look very good! What I am experiencing is that; they are very vigorous, constantly on the move, as well as quite sensible birds. When they get excited, they sound like migrating geese.. Even though I have some other birds with the reputation of being colorful as a breed, they can not compete with the brilliant reds and flashing black tails of the NH I have here. I love these birds..

Lual

That is a word used in Murray McMurrays sales pitch a good one too I might add:

new_hampshire_reds_main.jpg
This breed originated in the state of New Hampshire at the hands of poultry farmers who started with R.I. Reds and by means of generation after generation of selective breeding intensified the characteristics of early maturity, rapid full feathering, and production of large brown eggs. We used to improve our flocks with males from a New Hampshire breeder who described his birds as being especially endowed with "spizzerinktum"; and they were unusually handsome and vigorous. The mature birds are a rich chestnut red, of a somewhat lighter and more even shade than the R.I. Reds and the baby chicks are also a lighter red.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/spizzerinctum

Last edited:
That is a word used in Murray McMurrays sales pitch a good one too I might add:
new_hampshire_reds_main.jpg
This breed originated in the state of New Hampshire at the hands of poultry farmers who started with R.I. Reds and by means of generation after generation of selective breeding intensified the characteristics of early maturity, rapid full feathering, and production of large brown eggs. We used to improve our flocks with males from a New Hampshire breeder who described his birds as being especially endowed with "spizzerinktum"; and they were unusually handsome and vigorous. The mature birds are a rich chestnut red, of a somewhat lighter and more even shade than the R.I. Reds and the baby chicks are also a lighter red. http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/spizzerinctum
Thank you for the information, Jeff! Even though I can understand German language a bit, can not pronounce the words even if my life depended on it. I wonder why the RIR., and NH are always compared to each other? I have both breeds, and the only resemblance I see in between are; they are both chickens..to my novice eyes, both look quite unique, and different in appearance in their own special way. Lual

Back
Top Bottom