German New Hampshire

Hey guys I have a couple pair of these 5mths old to sale if any one is interested PM me , Mine are Kathy's line.

Hey John farmer any relation to Charlie Farmer out Tontitown way? I used to live up in your area from '97 to '06 glad to meet some more folk from "Chickendale" oops, LOL I meant Springdale on here. I will tell my brother in Russlelville he may be interested in the GNH pairs.

Jeff

Ok I went to your profile and saw that your last name is not Farmer but you might know of Charlie anyhow he's a fairly popular guy out that way. LOL

Last edited:
heard of him , don't know him though

I'm sure a lot of people have heard of him, for sure he's just that type of guy lets say, LOL He has built many a mile of pipe fencing all over that country so he's very well known to a lot of farmers and such.

I will tell my bro to PM you or you can, he is biomistake here on the BYC he's not on too much nowadays as hes busy with college right now but I'm sure he's interested in the NHs as he's patiently waiting for me to get my bunch grown up to get him a start in them, I had already given him a pretty boy (extra) I had to look at and put in his flock for eye-candy and of course last week something broke into the coop and killed yep you guessed it the one and only pretty NH he had all the other plain Jane ol chickens are just good and fine not a scratch or feather missing on them. OF COURSE like always.

I have 6 pullets that are 6 months old. They are getting real close to laying, so I would say they will be laying by there 7th month. Five of the 6 are awesome to look at so I'm excited about breeding them and starting my next generation.

I guess I was wrong on that. Got my first NH egg today at 6 months and 4 days. That pretty exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How is the rate of growth on the German line of NHs? I know at one time they were one of the best choices for a dual purpose bird and were a major force in the Chicken of Tomorrow contests. Ive read that some lines of the Delaware are being selected to get back to being dual purpose so I'm curious how this new strain of NHs compares. There is a growing number of people and families looking for a breed to have a sustainable dual purpose flock and given the description of the breed its a great match. However finding those strains of birds is like finding a unicorn from what I've read. At some point in the near future I'm planning on my own sustainable DP flock, and if the NH would fit the bill Id gladly raise them.

If they do compare and make a good sustainable flock, you would definately see a demand for quality NHs for both meat and eggs.

Thanks folks

I think that they have potential. They mature relatively fast, but they put on a lot of feather before they really start putting on weight. All of that feather uses up a lot of protein. They are not what you have in mind, but NHs could use a few people looking to work toward similar goals. They are good layers. You could take a flock of these, and get somewhere with some effort. This is also generally speaking, because I have not handled other people's birds.

How is the rate of growth on the German line of NHs? I know at one time they were one of the best choices for a dual purpose bird and were a major force in the Chicken of Tomorrow contests. Ive read that some lines of the Delaware are being selected to get back to being dual purpose so I'm curious how this new strain of NHs compares. There is a growing number of people and families looking for a breed to have a sustainable dual purpose flock and given the description of the breed its a great match. However finding those strains of birds is like finding a unicorn from what I've read. At some point in the near future I'm planning on my own sustainable DP flock, and if the NH would fit the bill Id gladly raise them.

If they do compare and make a good sustainable flock, you would definately see a demand for quality NHs for both meat and eggs.

Thanks folks

I am working on a project.... creating a new strain of Delawares. Of course, I started with New Hampshires and Barred Rocks. I hope to have my F3s (which should result in 100% Delawares) on the ground this summer. I can tell you this...... the F2s are looking good, and I do believe these are gonna be great dual purpose birds. The size I am seeing is just what I was hoping for. I think I like these better than the New Hampshires, for my freezer.

These are F2s, near point of lay.....

Back
Top Bottom