German New Hampshire

What would worry me about this bird is that the tail is down, he is a bit short of back and needs more depth. It is very difficult to get a good pic of a chicken, so maybe he is standing in a strange way. You can see the red in the tail but as far as color goes.we are all seeing a slightly different color unless you calibrate your monitor every day with a $1500.00 Pantone color matching system software. In addition New Hamps can look quite different in the shade, artificial light and in full sun. See this pic. I thought these German NH's were brown until I saw them in person and in the sun. The females grow quickly, the males much slower. I showed the females at 5mo's and they were laying at 5mo's.

Walt
Thank you very much for your response! Yes, the pics were impossible to get......... Finally got this boy to stand still at the top of the ramp in the pen so his whole body is actually sloping/leaning back. Don't think his tail slopes down or his back is as short as it may look but I will reassess. I have 4 of these boys, going to cull down to two soon. There should be no border of colour of any kind around the black tail feathers, correct?

Oh those are beautiful birds! If only the Welsummer roosters would have their body types and color, I would be happy LOL! But we shall not confuse between the two breeds, right?
wink.png

One day, just one day, I shall have one of those in my egg laying flock for eye candy.

Don't you all have a GERMAN NH Club? Not the usual NH Club.

I should add that I have several NH hatchery hens and I adore them. I would love to upgrade and preserve/improve the breed as my next project. :)

I read an archived booklet from breeder named Bowles that testified that the original NH strain was truly a dual breed. Excellent layers and meat production. Hardy in all types of weather. Hot or cold. Breeder help to further develop this awesome breed in the 40's. i currently have a brood of 6 weekers that are crosses of the german and good shepherd american strains. Thus far i am impressed with their vigor and size

I have the same NH cross you have and agree with you they do have a lot of vigor and good size. Also a very friendly personality. I think mine are about two weeks younger then yours.

I haven't visited this thread in a while, but thought of it recently and was reminded again by e-mail notification today.

I live in Maine, I have two NH pullets that I believe just started laying. I have no NH males. Is there anyone in New England who has New Hampshires (German line), specifically males?

Back
Top Bottom