German New Hampshire

I have a breeding pen and two NH pullets (German), I wish you were closer, I'm sure we could work out a deal.
Tim,
I wish you were closer to me.....I have NH cockerels coming out of my ears right now! I hate to say it but there is going to be a bunch of birds going to freezer camp around here this summer.

Chris

Quote:
I could have sure used a good roo.... couldn't hatch a usable roo to save my life. From Shipped eggs I could only hatch more pullets
th.gif
I have sold 2 hens already and putting the other 2 on CL today. I have some chicks from 2 different people so I might start over, but I need the pen in the mean time. I have 2 pullets from someone else too.... not sure where they will live till I can grow up some new ones.

Hello everyone,

I realize many of you are professionals and I would value your advice. I have been reading this thread for a while now, and finding it interesting.I had read about German New Hampshire chickens previously in a book.
I was looking forward to their meat, eggs, beauty, and temperament.

Is this a difficult breed to find chicks for the novice to purchase? I have had some difficulty finding them or receiving responses. Is it easier to find eggs?A breeding trio? Is this a breed that really is only suitable for an experienced chicken owner? Is the rooster temperament something a novice can handle? Would the Marans breed be simpler to work with?Not simpler in genetics but simpler in terms of availability and being an easy temperament?

I am wondering if you have suggestions about what is practical and feasible with only 2 pens (8x10) with secure 250 sq ft runs, and a 4x4 brooder.I can attach an electronet free range area to each.

Possibility:
Brooder-chicks
Pen 1 - Chick grow out pen
Pen 2- Pullets/hens and rooster that were not culled
Barn Tackroom- broody buster

I am also interested in the SOP but it seems my system may not be large enough?I know there is no way I can hatch/feed more than 100 chicks a year and can see the heavy culling is necessary.

Do you have an opinion on new chicken owners having roosters?Is this foolishness? At what age would the cockerels start fighting and need to be culled-20 wks?? I was thinking German New Hampshire or Marans are calm.If I bred it would probably need to be young cockerel to old hen, older rooster to pullet. I do have a barn where I could house one more family for spiral mating but would like to keep things simple.

I am kind of wondering if it is too hard to manage this breed with the resources and lack of experience that I have.Perhaps with this small of a system I should just order chicks and butcher and forget breeding??Should I do this for a few years before I attempt having a rooster?This would allow me to select the best hens??

I am wondering if I need to change my plan and I'm not sure what that would be. Any suggestions will be appreciated:)

Thank you!

I do not do breeding. That said I have and have had German NH. I love them. they are gentle birds. Not at all of ill temperments. The roos are shy but not mean. The hens are more aggressive than the males
gig.gif
. but they are both beauties.

Hello everyone,

I realize many of you are professionals and I would value your advice. I have been reading this thread for a while now, and finding it interesting.I had read about German New Hampshire chickens previously in a book.
Welcome to BYC Glory Bee. Would you please share the book title that included the German New Hampshires, please?

Thank you for the welcome. The book is 'The Small-Scale Poultry Flock' by Harvey Ussery. He mentions the Newcomer strain of the bird as being a plump table bird and good layer. I don't think that is the same as the German New Hampshire. I think looking for information about Mr. Ussery's mention led me to the BYC thread for German New Hampshire and its history.I was enthralled with the photos and read about the history of the German New Hampshire chicken.

I got German New Hampshire chicks last spring and my hens are great layers. They were six months old when they started laying. I only had one cockerel and had a neighbor that wanted the extra pullets, so did not butcher any culls and therefore can't comment on the "plump table bird" aspect of them. I'm hatching some this year and look forward to getting some experience on their eating quality.

I am not a professional...

I don't think it is possible to be sure a rooster of any breed will be especially mean or especially friendly. Most of us experience very small sample size, so our personal experience is limited and anecdotal.

Anyone can raise chicks. If you purchase New Hampshire stock and use their offspring to populate your farm (and fill your freezer), great. You don't sign any contract that says you will cull every cockerel with a particular characteristic or breed to a SOP. If they work for you, serve your purpose, that it doesn't matter at all.

If you raise 100 chicks a year, you will probably not progress as quickly toward a characteristic goal as you would if you raised 200 or 300 chicks a year, but you could certainly make progress.

The German New Hampshire line is relatively new. I have found that it is a little difficult finding a source for chicks or hatching eggs. But, there are more and more sources every season.

Back
Top Bottom