German New Hampshire

The tail angle should be 45 degrees in a NH this male looks more like a Rock males back line. It's a very flashy bird and it would impress some judges. It has lots of good qualities. I would look for a nice female with tail carriage that is too high. That should take care of that tail angle. I would use it to breed.

Walt

The tail angle should be 45 degrees in a NH this male looks more like a Rock males back line. It's a very flashy bird and it would impress some judges. It has lots of good qualities. I would look for a nice female with tail carriage that is too high. That should take care of that tail angle. I would use it to breed.

Walt
Thanks for your input Walt.
Just so happens I do have a few otherwise 'correct' females with higher than 45 degree tail sets...more like 65-75 degrees
big_smile.png

Have some F2's from said females incubating as we speak...should prove interesting over the next 6 months.

CBNovick, I would not stress the tail angle too much. I am not disagreeing with Walt. The tail is too low. It will lift a bit, but not enough.

The reason I say that, is the next generation will be more random. The initial cross is more consistent than the next generation. The family(s) behind the bird has as much or more influence than the original bird. You will end up battling too high of tails more than you will tails that are too low. I am saying if that is the best you have to start with, do not sweat it. You will have a variety to choose from next year.
What I am saying may not make sense now, but it will next year. The results after next year is what is going to tell on you. Keep irds that flesh out early to choose from, even if that means hatching more.
You have a fun project ahead of you and good genetics to play with.

CBNovick, I would not stress the tail angle too much. I am not disagreeing with Walt. The tail is too low. It will lift a bit, but not enough.

The reason I say that, is the next generation will be more random. The initial cross is more consistent than the next generation. The family(s) behind the bird has as much or more influence than the original bird. You will end up battling too high of tails more than you will tails that are too low. I am saying if that is the best you have to start with, do not sweat it. You will have a variety to choose from next year.
What I am saying may not make sense now, but it will next year. The results after next year is what is going to tell on you. Keep irds that flesh out early to choose from, even if that means hatching more.
You have a fun project ahead of you and good genetics to play with.

I agree. I thought she said her partner wanted to use it. I would use the correct tail angle bird if all things are close. I will post the male I used this year and it is evident that the results are because of the family, not the sire.....or at least not the way the sire looks. I will post a picture of him later.

Walt

Nice pullet Walt.

Cindy George is right you will most definitely have some high tailed girls to match him up with this should even things out greatly its easier the bring tails up than it is to lower them I've found because there are more high tailed birds than lower. It is a natural thing for tails to rise in subsequent hatches if not kept in check (proof) look at every Production red posted
wink.png

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom