German New Hampshire

I agree. I thought she said her partner wanted to use it. I would use the correct tail angle bird if all things are close. I will post the male I used this year and it is evident that the results are because of the family, not the sire.....or at least not the way the sire looks. I will post a picture of him later.

Walt

You mentioned this before, and it is one thing that impresses me about the German strain. I have seen them crossed with at least three strains, and the Germans have had much more influence each time. The Germans alone produce very consistently. It is debatable how correct they are here, but they are certainly well bred with no negative signs of inbreeding (concerning health).
Walt, I was also going to tell you that Bridget sent me a trio of her Catalanas. I like them, and am excited to have them here. They are related to what I have, but separated by a decade or so. I will not have any excuses now.

You mentioned this before, and it is one thing that impresses me about the German strain. I have seen them crossed with at least three strains, and the Germans have had much more influence each time. The Germans alone produce very consistently. It is debatable how correct they are here, but they are certainly well bred with no negative signs of inbreeding (concerning health).
Walt, I was also going to tell you that Bridget sent me a trio of her Catalanas. I like them, and am excited to have them here. They are related to what I have, but separated by a decade or so. I will not have any excuses now.

Bridget has the best I have seen. I saw jay Horn this last weekend, but didn't have time to talk to him about the Catalana's. Congrats on getting them!

w.

The tail angle should be 45 degrees in a NH this male looks more like a Rock males back line. It's a very flashy bird and it would impress some judges. It has lots of good qualities. I would look for a nice female with tail carriage that is too high. That should take care of that tail angle. I would use it to breed.

Walt

Thank you very much the explanation about the tail angle, Walt! Now, I will be studying the tail angles of my NH.

Lual

Nice mixture!!
So you don't separate the sexes for growout?
Or do these just coop in together at night and 'free range' during the day??

Not until this time of year, I will separate them this next week.. I have a way of keeping them distracted. I have some really crazy Runner ducks in with them and they spend most of the day keeping out of the way of ducks running crazily around the inclosure. It seems to keep their mind of each other. This is not something I would recommend, but I have the crazy ducks and it works here. Do not try this at home folks........

Walt

I would like to ask a question: I have been constantly hearing reference to American NH., and German NH. What is the difference between the two? Also, what is the cause of the difference? Are both German and American birds were created with the same combination of breeds? Or, is the difference the end result of selective breeding?

Would it be possible for someone to post photos of both to be able to see the difference?

Thank you!

Lual

Not until this time of year, I will separate them this next week.. I have a way of keeping them distracted. I have some really crazy Runner ducks in with them and they spend most of the day keeping out of the way of ducks running crazily around the inclosure. It seems to keep their mind of each other. This is not something I would recommend, but I have the crazy ducks and it works here. Do not try this at home folks........

Walt
Funny!

Walt, now I'd love to see a video of the runners' antics with the chooks...LOL
That's real entertainment I'm sure....how about throwing that Sarcoma in there too...then do the video.
lau.gif

Nice mixture!!
So you don't separate the sexes for growout?
Or do these just coop in together at night and 'free range' during the day??

I would like to ask a question: I have been constantly hearing reference to American NH., and German NH. What is the difference between the two? Also, what is the cause of the difference? Are both German and American birds were created with the same combination of breeds? Or, is the difference the end result of selective breeding?

Would it be possible for someone to post photos of both to be able to see the difference?

Thank you!

Lual
Personally, I would like the German label to disappear. Many have been crossed and the label is over used. Many called "German" are crosses.

To be clear, they are New Hampshires. Not American or German New Hampshires. It is not as if they are different breeds. "German" has been a convenient label to describe the strain that you see so much influence from. The STRAIN was developed and imported from Germany. They did well with them, an American breed. We did not. Well ... accept maybe some bantams.

Personally, I would like the German label to disappear. Many have been crossed and the label is over used. Many called "German" are crosses.

To be clear, they are New Hampshires. Not American or German New Hampshires. It is not as if they are different breeds. "German" has been a convenient label to describe the strain that you see so much influence from. The STRAIN was developed and imported from Germany. They did well with them, an American breed. We did not. Well ... accept maybe some bantams.
Exactly, you either got good ones or not so good of ones(LOL) is the difference betwixt them.

Jeff

The "German" description needs to go right besides the word "Heritage poultry" in the WHAT? section along with the Gieco camel too, LOL

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom