German New Hampshire

Breeding question on these birds........ I have culled down to 8 pullets from two different sources. Four have nice ticking (please correct me if the wording is incorrect) and four do not. They are all pretty comparable in type. What are the odds of getting the correct ticking in the offspring if I breed the pullets that don't have it? Is there something to look for in the cockerals that would increase the odds of getting/improving the ticking?

Are you single mating these birds or putting a couple of hens in with a cock and flock mating and your reasoning?

Breeding question on these birds........ I have culled down to 8 pullets from two different sources. Four have nice ticking (please correct me if the wording is incorrect) and four do not. They are all pretty comparable in type. What are the odds of getting the correct ticking in the offspring if I breed the pullets that don't have it? Is there something to look for in the cockerals that would increase the odds of getting/improving the ticking?

Are you single mating these birds or putting a couple of hens in with a cock and flock mating and your reasoning?
If one of the males show signs of striping(columbian. some do, sometimes its faint)) in the the hackles then use him over the solid necked girls and vice versa.

Jeff

My scientific comparison LOL is continuing. To refresh everyone's memory I have the following chicks German/American NH, half Good Sheppard/ GANH and one quarter Good Sheppard/GANH. If I had to pick mix right now I would vote for the one quarter Good Sheppard because of the tail width and the tightness of the feathers and tail angle. All of the Good Sheppard chicks have a lot tighter feathering thus faster feathering. They seem to be maturing faster. I have four ckl 12 weeks old together and they doing some pretty serious fighting and have there saddle feathers growing out. The 12 week old are GANH ckl are bigger but not as mature. The pullets the same age are about the same size but again the Good Sheppard are maturing faster. I hope this makes some sense.

Scott

Scott have you weighed any of your birds or done any carcass comparisons?  I'm wondering how they compare from a meat production standpoint.  Thanks!

No I have not weighed any yet but I will one these days and post it. Stay tuned:D

Back
Top Bottom