German New Hampshire

There is something so beautiful about a "big orange chicken" against the green...

This is a hen I got from Kathy B three years ago. She is still as lovely as ever. The cock and other hens are now at a neighbor's place. He has children in 4-H and the NHs are their responsibility. I got six eggs from them to put under broody hens and now have 6 one-month old chicks. I look forward to seeing how they look.

Some times I wonder if the Germans did nor do this breed a favor by breeding them darker. They hold their color better into their 2nd and 3rd years than do the lighter birds. That is how the Rhode Island Reds became as dark as they did.

Quote:
Zanna, I do not have any good tips that you would not already know.

Balancing the black does seam to be a little bit of a balancing act. Are you looking at the black in the wings?

The best I can do is select as directly as possible, and select birds with well marked tails.

This is where that build the barn before you paint it saying loses me. I struggle to get and keep well marked birds. It is not hard to lose it along the way.

Have you read anything on breeding the Columbian pattern? Are birds are not obviously, but it might be helpful still. It was for me.

Breeding the color of Rhode Island Reds is helpful. So is becoming familiar with the color Buff.

If you come across any good tips and/or points, please share.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks for the input! I have studied the columbian pattern a little as I have been using a more Columbian marked Delaware from Kathy's line in my breeding pens. After using her for two years I can say that most of her offspring are marked similarily so even though she is a very beautiful and true to type hen I won't be using her any longer. Too many culls after trying her over 4 different Cocks. I am selecting NH pullets this year with more black in their wings, I had thought that might help and most of mine are lacking enough. Many of my Columbian marked Dels. have almost too much black in their wings so there must be some type of correlation, just mulling around thoughts here as I am typing. Will try to find some info. on breeding RIR, had not thought of that, but of course, that is where the NH came from so maybe will find a tidbit there. Thanks again!

Quote:
There is a correlation in the qty. of black. There are different markers. Examine the under color to. Also where the black in the under color is etc.

Well marked wings are not a priority, initially, but some of yours will have appropriately marked wings along the way. That is something that we have, that we should not lose.

I have not mastered this color so I am reluctant to mislead with specifics. There is much that I am uncertain of. Every year, I feel a little more sure about some things.

Yes, there are is much that we can learn fro the breeders of Columbian patterned birds, even if it is just in principle. Also the Red breeders though there are differences. The Reds do have the same pattern. Buff has some similarities in how we would match up the body color of the males and females.

I had trouble getting much out of the NH bantam breeders.

So the chicks are 12 weeks old now. A couple weeks ago I noticed a couple cockerels with wing issues. It seems to have gotten more apparent and I am worried that it may be "Split Wing."

I'm hoping to pull them off the roost tonight to get a better look at it.

Last edited:
So the chicks are 12 weeks old now. A couple weeks ago I noticed a couple cockerels with wing issues. It seems to have gotten more apparent and I am worried that it may be "Split Wing."

I'm hoping to pull them off the roost tonight to get a better look at it.

Do not worry about the wings yet. Decide once they are finished. As you move along, you can be more selective earlier. Most of these will grow out to be fine as adults.

Do not worry about the wings yet. Decide once they are finished. As you move along, you can be more selective earlier. Most of these will grow out to be fine as adults.

Ok thanks. I know you have told me before to just wait on these to see what I have, and I am still following that. I just wasn't sure if this was split wing, and if it fell into the wait and see department or not.

Now if I could just get some decent pics of the flock...
cool.png

Ok thanks. I know you have told me before to just wait on these to see what I have, and I am still following that. I just wasn't sure if this was split wing, and if it fell into the wait and see department or not.

Now if I could just get some decent pics of the flock...
cool.png

It is more of a weakness than it is a defect. I was concerned myself. Most however, grow out of this completely. Occasionally one or two will have "lazy wings". I would want to improve on this along the way, but you need to be established, and begin hatching at least 40 birds pa.

Split wing is not to difficult to identify, once you learn how.

Back
Top Bottom