German New Hampshire

Thanks Luanne!

The sun does give them a more golden look, but in the shade they are more "red" than "gold." Pretty much the same color as yours above. It looks like there legs are washed out to, as they are more yellow than they look in the pics.

I will get some pictures on an overcast day, or evening, if they can be helpful.

It's amazing how they change over a couple weeks at this age (26 weeks old now).

Tails are lifting on the cockerels, even the straight backed Gray has a little angle now.

It's amazing how they change over a couple weeks at this age (26 weeks old now).

Tails are lifting on the cockerels, even the straight backed Gray has a little angle now.

Tails @ 12-18 months is higher than @ 28 - 32wks. A little low young is fine. Flat at 32 wks. is too low.

These tails are long (too long), and they take time to develop. They are still coming in as late as 40 wks. and more.

Do not pay attention to my numbers other than for illustration and a reference. You will find your own places.

Tails @ 12-18 months is higher than @ 28 - 32wks. A little low young is fine. Flat at 32 wks. is too low.

These tails are long (too long), and they take time to develop. They are still coming in as late as 40 wks. and more.

Do not pay attention to my numbers other than for illustration and a reference. You will find your own places.

Thanks. The numbers help for reference.

I'll keep watching them and documenting the changes.

Anyone have growth weights they'd like to share? New Hampshire were the fast maturing kings back in the day and wondering if the German line maintained that better than Reese birds.

Very interested in live or dressed weights in the 12 to 14 week range. Thank you.

The German birds x Reese have better numbers than either of the parents, naturally.

The German strain (is there any that have not been crossed?, I doubt it.) has too much feather to be competitive. They could use some selection on fleshing early.

The Reese birds are a cross of their own. It is not faithful to say that they retain NH characteristics or not. They are a little more or less NHs.

I'm excited that I now have my first 3 chicks hatched from both a rooster and a hen that I hatched out early last year. From that original hatch, I selected my favorite rooster and favorite hen and crossed the two. I only put 3 eggs in the incubator because of the constant changing weather (not sure if any were going to be viable), but was thrilled to have all 3 hatch out! Here are pics of the chicks and 'mom and dad'!!

Does anyone have new hampshires around northeast Oklahoma??? I'm in search of some and have not been able to find any! Thanks! Pm or reply here would be awesome!

Back
Top Bottom