German New Hampshire

Quote:
Have you seen this, Walt? If I ever get a chance to go here (USDA National Agricultural Library - The National Agricultural Library's Abraham Lincoln Building is located in Beltsville, Maryland, 15 miles northeast of Washington, DC) I would LOVE to go through this stuff! Hey, you wanna fund me a vacation to go there?
big_smile.png

http://riley.nal.usda.gov/nal_displ...vel4_id=10916&level5_id=0&placement_default=0

Didn't know about this, but I helped with the only publication he authored that I am aware of. He had a ton of written correspondence. I saw some of it.

Sure, just tell me how much.

Walt

Quote:
Hey Banjoe, I didn't mean to be malicious. I not blaming anyone, it's just my bad luck. Some of the eggs were mottled looking when I candled with no development. The first batch didn't do anything and I got 1 out of the second batch. It may just have been a rough ride from your state. I'm not giving up. I'm trying again this spring. Next time I'll probably go with started chicks. This is a live and learn experience.

Quote:
You are right Mr. Horton. Jefferson got them from someone in Germany, and unless he "created" the strain, he got them from someone else. It is obvious that someone put a lot of work into this strain. I would like to know who that is, and even meet that person. Everyone here aquired them from someone. I will be interested in watching who does what with them from here. Hey, it is nice to know there is some nice new Hampshires in Ga.

Quote:
No offense taken. When I got them I wondered where Gabbard farms got theirs. However if you notice the sun is shining directly on them so they appear lighter than normal. I have no doubts that they are far from standard but in order to achieve standard you have to work a little. I do intend to cross some of these with the german line and I'll cull like crazy. The german line is not as perfect as you might assume. I got some eggs from banjoejoe and they were not the prettiest things I've ever seen. Very Porous and very difficult to hatch. They need help. Inbreeding will also dilute the line. They need fresh blood. This will be a work in progress. You have to start somewhere.

Well I'm with Matt1616 on his responses too and I'd like to add a few pointers in here also and hopefully no offense will be taken 'cause that's not my goal but just to shed a little light on some of the topics here.

First of all the egg porosity is more than likely due to a diet lacking some nutritional value of some sort, it has nothing to do with the breed/line of certain hens; OR it may be the age of the hens too, as older hens do frequently produce porous and less viable hatching eggs. Oh also too, its also a known fact that this time of the year is tough on the ol gals and even the best of the best hens are more apt to lay a more porous egg esp. right before, during, and after the molt season(which is daylight triggered) which is going on right at this juncture in time, the shortest daylight hours of the year was just today.
wink.png

On the linebreeding/inbreeding of strains These German lines do not need additional blood added to boost up the line as indicated. If you'll go over to the Good Sheppard Barred Rock thread and read up on this line that Frank Reese has here they are direct descendants from the world renown E.B. Thompson lines that have had NO new blood added to them since the 1920's. (they are known to be some of the best out there too) Now that should say something about not having to add blood to an already established line. The way that linebreeding/inbreeding goes all wrong is by breeding bad traits/faults into the line by poor judgment during the culling process. Its an old folk- tale about having to throw something else into the "mix" ever' so often(for good measure) to up the quality by genetic diversity/NOPE, they sure don't do it with heirloom plant and veggie seeds either, that's why they are called heirloom as they are the same ones handed down time and time again, same difference in bird strains too. They are your birds do as you wish, but I'm gonna concentrate on culling and breeding the best to best out of my bunch and get my strain the way I think is the best and the way I like/want them to be.
big_smile.png

And to end on this note yes you are correct, the German line does have it faults BUT they are the best that have been posted on (here/anywhere else I've looked for them) to date. I've asked numerous times for somebody to step up and prove me and others on here wrong, haven't had any takers yet. We're still waiting on that to occur. So, I'll say that's what we've got to work with and to tell you the truth, a lot of the hype against them I do believe to be is a little bit jealousy driven too, that's my opinion and I'll stand beside that too till proven otherwise. Seems the one "feller" that had/has the most negativity to say on these German lines either has a vendetta against them, Mr. Akers, Germans in general(just saying), and has been asked numerous times to step up and show off WHAT exactly a SOP New Hampshire is supposed to be/look like (even if it is a bantam) has yet to do it. So all we get ever so often is a critical remark about this or that and no facts or proof to back up the gab. Still hope no offense is taken by anyone JUST SAYIN' it IS what it IS.
cool.png

Jeff

Jeff,
Excellent example regarding Heirloom vegetable seeds/tomatoes. For many years, I have grown Heirloom Tomatoes, and the best way to save the best seeds is by choosing the best fruits off the vine.
Under some circumstances, some growers will isolate plants and "bag" blooms for purity etc. It is all the same mind set in preserving the genetics of what ever species we devote our time. I agree with Matt as well, mixing hatchery stock with pure bloodlines is counter productive. There is a wealth of information on the Good Sheppard Barred Rock thread that is helpful. Not trying to add salt to the wound, but mixing pure blood lines makes me nervous.

Cecilia

CC's CoopCuties :

Excellent example regarding Heirloom vegetable seeds/tomatoes. For many years, I have grown Heirloom Tomatoes, and the best way to save the best seeds is by choosing the best fruits off the vine.
Under some circumstances, some growers will isolate plants and "bag" blooms for purity etc. It is all the same mind set in preserving the genetics of what ever species we devote our time. I agree with Matt as well, mixing hatchery stock with pure bloodlines is counter productive. There is a wealth of information on the Good Sheppard Barred Rock thread that is helpful. Not trying to add salt to the wound, but mixing pure blood lines makes me nervous.

Cecilia

No that wound is scabbed over, lol. My source of information was very wrong and after comments here and checking things out on other sites I have found this to be true as well. Being what they are, my "hatchery" birds are fine as far as egg quality and body size and for someone just looking for chickens for that purpose I'd recommend them. But as far as what a New Hampshire is supposed to be, they don't cut it and crossing them with the german line isn't going to make something better. I'd almost be inclined to think they are nearly two different breeds. When I first started raising New Hampshires I never even knew the german line existed. Now after comparison there's no doubt about the better line. I think it will be very interesting to see what we all have in a few years.
This is the main reason I love this site. You can learn a lot, have your assumptions challenged without getting into a major conflict and still be a part of a like minded online community and have a lot of fun at the same time.
smile.png

I got my first New Hampshire chick hatch this morning, and more on the way! I got the eggs from Hillbilly Hen, who got her stock from Kathy.

Quote:
And you didn't bring us any pictures?
hit.gif

Okay, I'll give you a little break because MAYBE it still needs to dry off a bit, but after that you better get a picture for us.
fl.gif

I'll be waiting
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom