German New Hampshire

What do think of the color on the females?
Open for discussion.....I have lots more pictures. Takes forever to upload them.

Here is a young male, still growing, and I am yet undecided.

Another young one..........

And, yet another one..........

LL

Last edited:
Is there a practical reason for tail angle to be low or high? Just wondering if it is a trait requirement that was born in utility rather than pure aesthetics.

Tim

Kathy, the younger boys with the high tail sets seem to be nice and full in the body- nice round look- the older boy seems shallower. Is that just the picture?

That last one seems broad and lower in the back before you come to the tail- I would keep an eye on him, too.

Are the girls lightening up to the color on the fluff of the roos? My monitor is color blind, as you know.

Tim, I honestly do not know - wish I did.

Is there a practical reason for tail angle to be low or high? Just wondering if it is a trait requirement that was born in utility rather than pure aesthetics.

Tim

it seems that the roos that i have hatched the ones with "to high tail" are the fullest body and larger birds and the ones with a lower tail are smaler on shorter legs this is why i was breeding the roo "with to high tail" in my hen line pin whitch i have the hens with a low tail but are also smaller them the others and the roo with the good tail for my mail line pin with the larger hen the plan was to breed the best roo from this breedeing with the best hen from the other with the hope of a good compromise and the hopfull out come being large birds with full body and great tail

the roos that i hatch from the mail line pen so far look to be not good there is 1 or 2 that i have been watching but again the largest roo with the best body has a to high tail --- the pullets from this pin are nice

the pullets from the hen line pin are verry nice and i have several great pullets to go in my breeder pin later this year they hav great size and shape and show more ticking in there hackel --the roos from this pin are large but and look better then the mail line roos ( chris the pullet with the leg band is out of the pullet line breeding pen and from what i see is looking GREAT )

I will not be using anny of the roos from the male line breeding (the lower tail roo over larger hens ) insted i will be putting the pullets from the hen line breeding in with the roo that i ussed in the mail line pin with the hopes of better roos

what are your thoughts on this

Can anyone direct me to where I can find what the Standard is, books, info ect ect for NH's. I have looked around a bit but have not been able to find anything like what is available for RIR's.

Thanks in advance...

Chris

Chris, I haven't been able to find a digital copy of the standard for New Hampshires anywhere on the net. Like Steven said you are probably going to have to get the APA SOP if you don't have one. The APA doesnt post them because that would spoil them being able to sell the SOP book which is understandable. The standards that you find for other breeds are from someone uploading it for that breed which I'm sure the APA would not approve of. If you have a particular question I will answer it as I have a standard right here.
One thing that I would like to say is that a New Hampshire male is suppose to have a 45 degree tail angle which is a pretty high tail angle for an American breed. There are definately some males of this line that are to high in the tail but to me the Squirrel tail that is showing up in this line is more of a problem than a tail that is a bit high. I would try to stay away from to much angle on the tail but a squirrel tail is a DQ and a tail that is to high is not. These two issues are both problems but the squirrel tail is a much larger one.

I see the phrase"Squirrel Tail" on the different threads and I can kind of imagine what it could look like but if anyone could post a picture of one that sure would be helpful. Chicken pictures only! No Squirrel pictures please!! Ha Ha. Thanks,Charles.

Don't have any pictures but it's pretty simple. A squirrel tail is a tail held at more than 90 degrees above horizontal. It's a disqualification in all breeds except Japanese Bantams.

Back
Top Bottom