German New Hampshire

Quote:
bow.gif
YES ! ! ! I look forward to it!

Kathy those Dels are amazing. I didn't mean to thread jack, I'm just so impressed with what you've accomplished. I know Whitmore Farms, Good Shepherd Ranch, and few other places are trying to or have brought back "dual purpose" to the dual purpose breeds.

As I said before I really feel thats where the NH could really thrive and see a resurgance in the breed would be as a legitimate dual purpose bird for the self sufficient/sustainable flock folks. People that would get a decent sized carcass out of excess spring roos that would be processed in the fall and still have enough eggs so your not keeping a bunch of excess hens just to meet your egg demands. With many of the breeds now you have a scrawny carcass that isn't worth raising to eat, or it takes FOREVER to get something worthwhile and your paying a ton in feed costs.

Until I found this thread I'd planned holding back a Freedom Ranger roo doing scheduled feeding to slow him down a bit then putting him over hatchery NH hens or even RIR hens to try to get a line of birds that resemble a NH by description. I had zero interest in selling any of them, it was just for my own purposes. But seeing that there are REAL NHs that actually fit the description I may not bother with that project and just focus on the NHs I'm seeing available.

Then you had to go and post those F2 Dels and I thought OH MAN those look great! lol

I dont have a set up right now where I could take any birds but thank you. Ill definately keep you in mind soon as I get things ready here.

Wow guys it's been really slow on this thread, what's everyone been doing?

I hatched my first group of NH's yesterday from my own birds and boy am I happy with the chicks. I set 12 eggs 3 weeks ago, and 11 made it to lock-down. Out of the 11 eggs, 9 hatched. These guys came out like gang busters! Once they pipped the shell it was only a matter of a few minutes and the chick was out. It's been a long wait but it was a great feeling to gets those results with my own eggs the first time out!

Chris

All I can say is............. I am sick of cleaning brooders. I have chicks everywhere. I am shipping out about 100 on Monday. (Oh, and the incubator seems to be full again)............
hu.gif

So many chicks...... so much work...... takes time away from me playin' with my emus.
hmm.png

Last edited:
All I can say is............. I am sick of cleaning brooders. I have chicks everywhere. I am shipping out about 100 on Monday. (Oh, and the incubator seems to be full again)............
hu.gif

So many chicks...... so much work...... takes time away from me playin' with my emus.
hmm.png
I can so relate. Although I'm not doing any shipping, I do have many different age groups in different pens and I just hatched a batch of delawares and columbian rocks this weekend. I have 3 different age groups with my New Hampshires and it's looking like my last batch was mostly roos. I think I'd like to hatch one more batch but I think I'll wait for a broody hen and let her do all the work next time.

I just keep hoping one of my NH's will go broody so I can slip a few eggs under her and let her do the work. I don't want to end up with too many chickens come winter so I am being careful with how many I try to hatch.

Back
Top Bottom