German New Hampshire

It really surprises me how slow this German NH thread is. These birds are so beautiful. I am surprised folks do not talk about them or post photos.

I took some pics and will post a few of my birds. They all originally came as chicks from Kathy in MO. Thank you Kathy. I am blessed by their beauty. Also posting a lovely Delaware hen from her.

If you see a problem with roos let me know. I am now down to 4 and still culling. The 3rd photo down, roo with hen looking up. Is his tail to high?

Also, there are two age groups in these birds, about one month apart, some of the birds/hens do not have full feathering.
Of the roos, I have 4, 3 young and one older. The photo of the two roos facing off. Which one you like better the right or left.
Have a great evening and hope you enjoy pics. I am going to try again this weekend to get more.

Last edited:
Soldier,
I too have some from Kathy, I can not get pictures to show up here. Ugh!, I also got some of a second set from Beth,Joletabey. I think they are going to be a bit darker. My Problem is to get hens. Eggs from both of them seem to be high in males, a 7 or8 to one or two girls. I had two new girls , one fell dead no symptoms at all. The other I have and are treasuring. Next season I will start with two hens and one or two males. One of my males has some specks on his hackle feathers. He is only 15 or 16 weeks though. I love their color. gloria jean

Can someone post a pic of a NH hen who has a tail with a nice spread on it? I keep looking at mine and can't help but think that they all look like they are pinched. I'm just really looking for something to use as a reference.

Thanks,
Chris

31282_dscf3491.jpg

31282_dscf3489.jpg

Yep, that's what I thought. Thanks for posting those pics Kathy, I have nothing even close to that.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to work around this. I'm looking at 12 or so pullets and not one is even close to the ones in Kathy's pics.

Chris

Edit to add pic....

Mine look more like this one here in the back. There is no space at all between the tail feathers.

Last edited:
Yep, that's what I thought. Thanks for posting those pics Kathy, I have nothing even close to that.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to work around this. I'm looking at 12 or so pullets and not one is even close to the ones in Kathy's pics.

Chris

Edit to add pic....

Mine look more like this one here in the back. There is no space at all between the tail feathers.

Me either Chris I noticed this a good while back and thought to myself oh boy here we go with the tails on these things now I thought the first move would be working on hackle ticking but its not(for me) looks like its going to be getting good tails on these girls first then go from there. I'm hoping there is going to be enough american type NH to go around before too long to do some serious crossing into these GNHs and see if there can be some more improvements made. I don't think breeding them back to each other (GNH) is going to get anything much different than they are now (not that they are all bad) but things are cropping out as the numbers increase which is normal and why diligent culling is a must if one is wanting to see improvement (in any breed/type). Anyone can procreate but, sometimes you have to recreate using select chosen breeders/types.

I have one male that has an absolute perfect tail but is a little short in shank. I'm gonna use him just for this purpose of tail improving and hope to not have to cull out a bunch due to the shortness of shank showing up too much if so I shall scratch that idea and go a different route. I takes time and patience for sure if you want good results. If not one can continue with what they got and keep getting what they have.
wink.png

Jeff

Last edited:

Chris

Edit to add pic....

chris you can clearly see the wind is blowing her tail apart IF YOU LOOK YOU CAN EVEN SEE THE TAIL ON THE BARED ROCK IS BEEING BLOWN

a pinched tail is when the they try to carry there tail at to high of an angle and do not fan it out for example in the pic kathy posted with the profile of the hen the hen in frount is faning her tail nice wile the one in the back is PINCHED

" come on pepole they are not fan tail pigons they are NEW HAMPSHIRE chickens simply read the SOP on the new hamps and if you have then why are you falling for this ???????"

this is not a new hamp but using these pics for referance

this hen has a nice fan and angel to her tail

wile this hen same breed has a " pinched tail"

here is a pic of one of my hens with a nice tail angel and fan

and agen this is not a new hamp but explans what a piched tail is

this OEGB hen has a nic "fan" to her tail

wile this OEGB hen has a "piched tail"

i hope this help explan what a piched tail is

Back
Top Bottom