German Spitzhaubens

Mojo Chick'n

Empress of Chickenville
11 Years
Mar 8, 2008
Republic of Chickenville
Heya all -

Been so busy, so haven't posted much. I am currently building three more coops - well, one coop with three sections. It is gonna be 24 foot long - so each coop section is 8x8.

I'm doing this because.... I found the greatest place to get chickens today, LOL. I left with three german spitzhaubens, a roo and two hens, and three banty hens (two fo which are laying) to go with my son's banty roo who is lonely for some lovin'.

I'll take pics tomorrow, and I'll be taking pics of the coop-in-progress this time, so I can add them to my coop page.

I also scored (on the way home at a yard sale...) a space heater for the main coop, and a baby's playpen for chicks. I wanted one of those this last spring when I got chicks, but I couldn't find any at yard sales. I got the playpen for 4 bucks, and the space heater for three. The heater is one of those oil filled electric ones - has a thermostat, which is a good thing. I'll probably have to "cage" it in to keep the chickens from roosting on top of it and burning themselves, but that won't be too hard to do.

I only went after the banty hens, LOL but I saw those spitzhaubens and couldn't resist.

Peace -
Meriah

Heya -

Yeah, I found out they are called appenzellers - the guy who sold them called them german spitzhaubens and I did find that name for them online (I had never heard of them before - I just knew they looked funky and I wanted them).

Peace -
Meriah

Why is everyone so racist about these chickens? Does it really matter?
tongue.png

My Spitzhaubens are now officially Connecticut Spitzhaubens cuase that's
where they were hatched.

To me, it does matter where they originated. However if you were to import Spitz in this country, I sure would like to know where they came from.

The German Spitz and Swiss Spitz may be a little different in their looks but I am sure Allenwranch will respond to this message. She is the Spitz expert at best!

I love the Spitzs I think that they are so pretty. Right now I have 2 roos but I am hoping on getting some hens. I was going to cross them with my hamburg hens but all but one of those died. Good luck with your new birds
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom