German Spitzhaubens

Hi,

the Appenzeller Spitzhaube (coming from the Switzerland) are a breed that was created in the area of the Kanton Appenzell in Switzerland. The breed was in 1952 offical, but it was named since the 15 century and was there raised in convents of the religios people.

The ancesters should be the Brabanter you have already a picture here in this thread ( a old kind of bread from the Neatherlands) and the french raises "La Flèche" and "Crève-Coeur" susspected. But in this area there are also the raises of the Polveraras and Paduanas and Altsteirer wich maybe can have taken some blood to them.

In the year around 1950 the are before die out!

Here you can see a lot of nice pictures.
http://www.appenzeller-spitzhaube.com/

Regards
DR

Quote:
There does seem to be some confusion about color. For instance, everybody seem to call the light ones "cream" -- but I don't think there's a color "cream" in the European standards, so far as I can tell.

They are nice birds to have in your flock, ok layers, and not prone to some of
the issues Polish are.

OKCarla had both Brabanter and Spitzhauben eggs.

Thanks for the input. Fortunately, I've already arranged to get birds from a breeder in my area.
smile.png

I also have gold Brabanters.

Bustergrils8-22-07.jpg

The most comprehensive information I found about Brabanters is from the book "The Complete Encyclopedia of Chickens" by Esther Verhoef and Aad Rijs.

The book says:
The breed is found in self black, white, blue laced, cuckoo, golden black half-moon spangled, silver black half-moon spangled, yellow white half-moon spangled, golden blue half-moon spangled and lavender.

Brabanters are closely related to the Owl Beards. These were used frequently for the Brabanter's survival - and still are.

The cream is probably a result of crossing a gold and silver. I originally got both, but decided to concentrate on a standard color.

I like their personalities. They are not as flightly as my Spitzhaubens and seem to be a little friendlier.​

Quote:
Nice. I look forward to seeing the pictures.

In a few months we will need to start a Brabanter thread and compare pics some more.
I'll take some good pics of mine later to share with everyone.

Quote:
Nice. I look forward to seeing the pictures.

In a few months we will need to start a Brabanter thread and compare pics some more.
I'll take some good pics of mine later to share with everyone.

Definitely!

I suspect this breeder got her birds from Ideal just like most other folks...but I am looking forward to getting sexed started birds, and being able to see both the creams and golds in person before I make my final decisions.
smile.png

http://www.nantahala-farm.com/chicken-brabanter-s.shtml

I would not go for the golds from Ideal, got those and all were crest- and beardless but one......(and the beard that one has are more or less just sideburns).

With the creams all have their crests 1 has no beard and I have only one who has neither.

Here is my Cream Brabanter cockerel from Ideal:
IdealchicksJuly4th004.jpg

As to character, I have handled my spitz pullet quite a bit since she was a chick, in the past 3 weeks she has all of a sudden turned into a cuddle bug and does not say no to being picked up... with the brabanters I am working on the cream roo, he is the most skiddish(a male thing maybe?), the hens don't care for me either way, if I pick them up or not they don't fuss. The cream without beard and crest of course is the bug and always wants attention(the only way she gets to stay).

Last edited:
if you like the 'poof tops' you are about to go on craiglist for more chickens! look up Silkies & Polish! hope you get some new additions! CHICKEN MATH!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom