[Germany/Europe] In search of Hedemora hatching eggs...

Anaray

Songster
Jun 1, 2018
Germany
I know this is a long shot, but if anyone has pure Swedish Hedemora and is willing to ship me hatching eggs, please let me know. I was lucky to get some eggs this year and hatched 4 gorgeous, very typical Hedemora hens. I would like to get some from another line but they are almost nonexistent in Germany.

Thank you,

Ana

Have you looked on ebay?
Thank you for the reply. There is nothing to be found on Ebay. Only 1 shady seller in the classifieds which I don't trust. I was very lucky to get a rooster from a gentleman who has some stock from Sweden (he had a very hard time as well). He does not sell hatching eggs, but now at least I have a rooster from another line. The Swedish are very protective of their heritage breeds, which I fully understand. Breeds tend to get messed when everyone just starts breeding whatever they can get.

Well good that you have a mix now. Out of curiousity I checked and several USA hatcheries offer either eggs or small chicks. So somehow this breed has been exported to the USA. Do you already have your own Hedemora chicks?
The pullets are just starting to lay. Hopefully there will be chicks next year.

Maybe that is a reason the Swedish are so protective. Hatcheries are not necessarily good for maintaining a breed. Not that all are bad, but just too uncontrolled.
The Swedish Flower Hen is very popular in Germany. Unfortunately, there is a large variation in types available here and you never now what all has been bred into these birds. As long as they look "flowery", they will be sold as pure bred. Then people think they have pure breeding stock and sell them again and so on.
In Sweden, there is a genebank and club that tries to maintain some control. Not a bad thing, just makes it hard for me. :lau

Right, OK. So from what I read the feature of the Swedish breeds is that they are cold resistant. I couldn't quite understand if they are good for eggs or meat or show birds..
There are several different Swedish breeds. The Hedemora are not excessively large and lay a decent amount of eggs. Supposedly also in winter time, which would be nice to have a few here and there.
But, they are a landrace breed, so no standard and no show bird breeding. They are meant to be very independent and good foragers. My Hedemora have keen instincts, but are still very friendly birds.
Yes, they have unique feathers with an extra little down. And they have a wonderful variety in color. Even woolly feathers (like a silky) are possible.
A lovely breed and due to this variety, I guess it would be easy for it to be messed up by people who don't care about preservation.

Back
Top Bottom