Gertie laid a lash egg

It helps to keep just one thread about a particular chicken, and ask questions, update, and add new post when needed. It is hard to know who suggested those foods without going back and trying to read all of your previous threads. I would have her eating mostly chicken feed as her diet. I have suggested rice for a chicken with persistent watery diarrhea, but not to continue on. When they eat other foods, they will become full and limit the best balanced feed for them. That can lead to vitamin or mineral deficiencies, too little protein, and picky eaters.

Salpingitis is just a common illness in hens over 2. It doesn’t spread because a coop is dirty, but bacteria can travel through the blood and air sacs into the abdomen, as well as up the cloaca into the oviduct. So I would just generally clean your coop as keep it as dry as possible. Chickens don’t have to live in a sterile environment, but just general cleanliness.
Ok, thank you. The special food was only temporary, to try to get the digestive system moving in my crop-girl. And I only gave little left over bits to the others. I wasn't very clear, and shouldnt have blended my birds' issues. Yes, that's confusing, sorry. We just have a lot going on. Made me wonder if there could be a correlation between them. I'll keep them separate

I'm now thinking that maybe it wasn't Gertie who laid the lash egg, when I started this thread. She looks very happy and healthy. Yet - I wonder if I might have more than one hen in reproductive-system distress.

Laney (my girl who has had crop issues, twice now) has dropped red lash material into the poop tray, 2 times, along with a shell-less egg. She is still having diarrhea. She's acting happy, but feeling light. I haven't weighed her recently, but she feels lighter to me. I will offer her some scrambled egg, tomorrow.

I've also found shell-less or broken egg shells a few times, in the nesting boxes. A couple eggs have broken as I washed them. And I'm getting misshapen eggs, more than I had before. Sometimes they are so big, they won't fit in the egg carton. Sometimes they are buIgy, or have a rough surface. I wish I had taken pictures. I just processed all the eggs a couple days ago. I would say, that of my 8 girls - only 7 are laying. If I get a day with 7 eggs, one will be huge and at least one will have a fragile or rough shell.

The girls eat Kalmbach pellets. They've recently gotten some veggies from the garden, like peeled, diced cucumber and salad greens. I also treat them with small amounts of black soldier fly larva.

I'm offering regular oyster shell, flakes oyster shell and baked eggshells to the girls. Occasionally, I add pro-bios to their water, to help with digestion.

I guess I don't have any specific questions ~ but, would like to know if there's something more I should be doing

Back
Top Bottom