Gertie laid a lash egg

Sammster

Crowing
Jul 31, 2021
SE Michigan
Gertie is a two year old RIR. She has always laid elongated, sometimes oddly-shaped eggs. The largest eggs of my flock. A month or so ago, she was laying soft-shelled eggs (as was another hen) I started giving calcium citrate. The soft-shelled eggs stopped. A few of the girls had a couple of days of looking sickly. I added pro-bios and ordered Aqua-mox, but they perked up by the time it arrived, and I didn't use it.

The eggs improved. But, I believe Gertie stopped laying. I wasn't getting the large, elongated eggs anymore. However, there was one, miniature egg that might have been hers. It did contain yolk, and was a bit larger than a fairy egg.

I suspected Gertie of being the hen who recently had yellow urates in the dropping box - so I started going out at night to write down their roosting positions. It was Gertie.

I wonder if I might have prevented the lash egg I found this morning in the droppings box, if I'd given the antibiotics, even though the girls perked up.
But, here we are, now. There's conflicting opinions on treatments. Should I give the antibiotics? Or might that compromise her immune system. I know I can't cure her, but I'd like to help her, if she's hurting. She doesn't look like she's hurting, but she's not as... social as she used to be, either.

She could have salpingitis if she laid a lash egg.I would have given the antibiotic because in salpingitis, the earlier it is treated, the more likely it will have an effect. But now it may or may not help. Have you actually seen a lash egg, or just the fart egg? Lash eggs look like a piece of flesh and when cut open may have some cooked egg appearance. Fart eggs may just be that her reproductive system is having issues, or she could be getting salpingitis.

She could have salpingitis if she laid a lash egg.I would have given the antibiotic because in salpingitis, the earlier it is treated, the more likely it will have an effect. But now it may or may not help. Have you actually seen a lash egg, or just the fart egg? Lash eggs look like a piece of flesh and when cut open may have some cooked egg appearance. Fart eggs may just be that her reproductive system is having issues, or she could be getting salpingitis.
Yes, lash material this morning

Can you post a picture after cutting it open?
20230711_075918.jpg

20230711_075946.jpg

Yes, that would be salpingitis. Antibiotics or not is your choice. Probiotics afterward never hurt. There is a 3 week egg withdrawal for amoxicillin.

Thank you. Ok, so.... in other threads I've started in the last couple of weeks, I talked about how we have been battling diarrhea. I clean the coop and pen, at least once a day, usually more. But, should I be worried about the spread of infection that might lead to salpingitis in my other hens? I mean... they do walk through poop in the pen if I don't get to it in time. And we are still dealing with some diarrhea. And it's dark, too.
BTW, I just treated them with Corid and Safe-Guard

To say "It's been a challenging season", would be an understatement. But, I'm trying everything I can think of.

This morning's dropping trays. Poops are improving, some. The big loose one is under Laney's roosting spot. She is the one with the impacted crop. She did get some rice, grated carrot and raw egg, before bed - as was suggested. They all got a little, after she had hers.
received_1100257777602163.jpeg

And then the poops seem to improve, once they get moving for the day.
Photo-bomber is Laney. She runs to me whenever I come out. I tried 3 times to get a poop photo without her. I have to lock the girls out of the coop to clean it. LOL And she stands outside the door tapping on it until I'm done 😁
received_3503306699915122.jpeg

It helps to keep just one thread about a particular chicken, and ask questions, update, and add new post when needed. It is hard to know who suggested those foods without going back and trying to read all of your previous threads. I would have her eating mostly chicken feed as her diet. I have suggested rice for a chicken with persistent watery diarrhea, but not to continue on. When they eat other foods, they will become full and limit the best balanced feed for them. That can lead to vitamin or mineral deficiencies, too little protein, and picky eaters.

Salpingitis is just a common illness in hens over 2. It doesn’t spread because a coop is dirty, but bacteria can travel through the blood and air sacs into the abdomen, as well as up the cloaca into the oviduct. So I would just generally clean your coop as keep it as dry as possible. Chickens don’t have to live in a sterile environment, but just general cleanliness.

Back
Top Bottom