Get chickens to go back to their coop

featherfella

Chirping
Apr 24, 2016
Hi there,

I recently purchased two purebred sliver Sussex about two days ago. These girls are very friendly, but to get them to go back to the cop Is a challenge. I am using these birds for the purpose of showing them, so they have to get use to being picked up by humans. But as of right now, they get stressed when I try to catch them. I currently have three other hens which I have had for around about 18 months, and to get them back into the coop is simple. All I have to do is simply tap a dish and they come flying towards me. But these new girls just won't fall for it. So I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas.

Thanks

Two days is not really sufficient time for them to associate the the dish-tapping with treats. I usually keep my birds confined to the coop for 48 hours, to help them associate the coop as "home".

Additionally, they are possibly a little afraid of the rest of the flock, assuming that they are now part of the main flock.

Hanging a flashlight in the coop can help lure birds in - just turn it off, once they are inside.

Two days is not really sufficient time for them to associate the the dish-tapping with treats. I usually keep my birds confined to the coop for 48 hours, to help them associate the coop as "home".

Additionally, they are possibly a little afraid of the rest of the flock, assuming that they are now part of the main flock.

Hanging a flashlight in the coop can help lure birds in - just turn it off, once they are inside.
Thanks for the advice

Back
Top Bottom