getting 2 hens and a rooster today to introduce to my other 2 hens

jdw2476

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 30, 2010
wills point texas
got a question...today i am picking up another rooster and 2 hens to go with my 2 existing hens from the same person i have been dealing with...how long should i have them seperated before introduction????i have a large run and coupe and i will be putting the new guys in a large birdcage inside the run until the other birds get used to them i have been told 24 our introduction but some say a week what is yalls advice?????also the person im getting them from i got my other birds from so im not worried about diseases or anything like that as they work real hard on good health actually here is the link to their website i would recommend them to anyone........

http://chickenvilleusa.homestead.com/sale.html

Last edited:
you should have the new ones quarantined for at least 30 days-your friend may not have had anything before but might now?? Id be very careful Ive been seeing alot of people losing all of them due this exact situation. Its sad is all and I would hate for anyone to lose new birds to this...

The best way to integrate (IMO) is by letting them free range together in a huge run or free outside. the cage inside the run is good for a week or so then let them all go together -supervised-see how it goes..good luck
thumbsup.gif

As long as you are confident there are no health issues to spread around then you shouldn't need to quarenteen. Some others will not agree with me on this - but if you got them all from the same place, I would feel OK with a quick intro.

As far as them getting used to each other. The best way I've found for introduction is to place the new birds on the roost late at night well after the chickens have gone to bed.

Chickens can't count - if they wake up with more than they went to bed with they don't notice.

They will however need to establish the pecking order no matter what you do. Just make sure they have plenty of space to run away & all will work itself out in about a week.

Hope this helps.

thanks all for the input got 1 amerucana another barred rock and a buff oprington roo gonna release tomorrow i think they will be fine my 2 hens are perched on the big cage i got them in in the run lol i dont think it will be a problem

everything worked out great and the pecking order has been established with the black austrolope as the head of the coupe lol followed by the roo then there is the barred rock that i had with the austrolope from the start then the other barred and the amerucana on the bottom ...no blood no feather pulling but the austrolope let them know she was in charge even running the big buff down and knocking him off the roost lol when i went outside last night to put my tarp around the sides of the coupe as we had a cold front and i wanted to keep the wind off of them i saw the roo the austrolope and the barred rock all snuggled together in a hole they dug in the ground in the corner cooing lol and the other barred and the amerucana in the coop weird sleeping arrangements but was neat to see how it ended up after all the pecking was done.

Back
Top Bottom