1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Getting 3 Baby Chicks!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bloveschickens, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Northern nurse

Northern nurse Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2014
    Generally they are smart enough to find the most comfortable spot, having a "warm side" and a "cooler side" allows them to manage their thermoregulation needs. You might want to put your waterer up on a brick to limit the number of shaving they kick into it. Enjoy your wee ones when you get them.

2. theEberleeggers

theEberleeggers New Egg

Mar 18, 2015
    Felicidades! (congratulations!) My wife and I are still a few months away from being ready, so I am jealous-I don't want to wait! Tell me, is it better to get chicks from a local source or a big breederbymail? or should we get eggs and go that way?

3. torilovessmiles

torilovessmiles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2014
    Central West Virginia
    There are pros and cons to both ordering chicks and feed store chicks. Feed store chicks are convenient, easy, and cheaper. You don't have to wait. However, they may have very poor variety and chicks are exposed to the public. They are also sometimes mislabeled.
    When ordering chicks, they're not exposed to the public, there is more variety, and some hatcheries only have a 3 chick minimum (6 chicks at TSC).
    However, you have to wait, and you could be paying $60 for something you could get at the feed store for $12
    Hatching can be difficult for first timers, but is very rewarding to watch your own chicks grow!
    So, whichever suits you best is the better choice :)

4. City-Chickee

City-Chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Des Moines, IA
    Yep, what torilovessmiles said. I think the only thing I would add is if you specifically want pullets you might want to go the "ordering chicks" route - most hatcheries have that as an option and are 90 - 95% reliable. Whereas with the local feed store they might not know what is what (they might...but it would be rare), and with hatching eggs it would be the luck of the draw [​IMG]

5. Julia62

Julia62 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2014
    Reno, NV
    [​IMG]

Got my 3 today! Marcia, Jan, and Cindy! I have since moved the feeder away from the heat lamp (once they found it and started eating). They also found the water and are drinking just fine. I did remove the barrier I made and they now have full range of the tub. They are soooo cute.

6. City-Chickee

City-Chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Des Moines, IA
    Aww cute little chipmunk heads [​IMG]

7. Bloveschickens

Bloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    My Coop
    Absoulutly adorable!!! [​IMG] I can't wait to finally get mine.

8. Julia62

Julia62 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2014
    Reno, NV
    [​IMG]

They are doing well this morning! I could watch them all day.

Is it bad that they peck at the shavings. Can't tell if they are trying to eat them or not. They are eating and drinking just fine. Temp around the light stays at low 90's. I have the window up high open a couple inches for fresh air, but it does not blow on them.

9. Bloveschickens

Bloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    My Coop
    They are so adorable! I love them!

About them eating the shavings- Usually you are supposed to use either paper towels or puppy pads instead of pine shavings for the first week or 2 so that the chicks do not think that the shavings are food and start eating them instead of their actual food. Once you are confident that your chicks will be able to tell the difference between food and shavings then you can switch to using shavings as litter. Chickens have a natural instinct to scratch and peck so if they are just scratching and pecking at the shavings that is totally fine, but if the chicks are actually eating the shavings that could be very bad. From the video it does not look like the chicks are eating the shavings but I would switch to paper towels or puppy pads for the next week or 2 just in case. ***NOTE: Do NOT use newspaper, it is very slippery under they chicks feet and they could fall and get splay leg, use puppy pads or paper towels.****

I hope I helped!

10. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio
    Adding 6 new baby chicks [​IMG](2 -Rhode Island Red, 2 - Barred Rocks, Hoping for 2 -4 Black French Marans) My first batch of chickens are 10 months old now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by