Getting a bald neck need help

Vanisa

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 7, 2009
I only have the one emu that is just now turning 2 years old. I think Popo is a boy and he is in a fair sized pen, but he is rubbing his neck on the fence to the point I'm worried he is going to cause his feathers not to grow back. I know these guys are bad for pacing their fence, but is there anyway to keep him from rubbing so bad?

Thanks,
Vanisa

He sounds lonely, Is he in the run with any other animals? Emu are a very social bird and they need interaction with others, be it another emu, goat, goose, whatever.

Some are also just fence walkers.... my one is on a 5 acre area..... with other animals and emu and still rubs his neck on the fence. Only way to stop him is to put him in a higher then his head fencing........or curtain off where he can't see over the side he walks on.

He is in with geese and chickens. Also the turkey and gunies when they decide to jump the fence. I think it'll probably be a case of raising his fence then. Oh and he also likes to race cars down one side of the fence and if they stop to look at him he has to lean for a look back.

The pen is about 100' x 100'. I've thought about getting another emu, but Popo is my baby got him at 4 weeks old and had him in my dining room for the longest because he got so upset about moving outside. Having a 4 month old emu crying in you lap is a sad sight. I've seen a few people talking about when they got another emu and there were problems between the two, so I've been worried to get another.

I've found a 10 year old female from a petting zoo, but it's about a 4 hour trip. How in the world do you transport an emu? I really think a horse trailer would be too cold. Besides, finding one would be an issue. Suggestions?

Last edited:
If only transporting 1 or 2 birds a large dog crate per bird works well. Sock their head and guide them in, yes they will fit. When I went for my 11 yo mated pair the guy I got them off of couldnt belive they fit in there and calmed down so fast. They have little power when sitting and cant break the crate, Its small enough to keep them from hurting themselvs and the plastic sides keep most of the wind off them. I did tie the crates down well to keep them from sliding around the truck but thats about it. If you are moving a large group then an enclosed trailer is a must but not for 1 or 2.

If they fit in a dog crate, I _can_ borrow a van and she wouldn't be chilled. I didn't think that she would fit when a friend suggested it. I'm still looking, but the only horse trailer I could borrow has dry rotted tires and no way I'd trust them that far and I couldn't afford to buy the person new tires just to borrow it.

Back
Top Bottom