Getting a buddy for my quail

PennyM16

Songster
Nov 14, 2018
the chicken coop
So, I have a Japanese quail rooster and I’m looking to get him a female buddy. However, I also don’t want a billion baby chicks here. If I get a different breed of female quail will I still have to worry about chicks from them? For example, if I were to get a female jumbo quail or Egyptian quail

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• C3E12C5F-7498-458C-B826-EF41D8C4CE6B.jpeg
    C3E12C5F-7498-458C-B826-EF41D8C4CE6B.jpeg
    323.2 KB · Views: 14
Oh! Okay, good to know. What if I got him another male buddy? Will they fight or will they be buddies? I don’t really know anything about quail, I’ve only ever had chickens. I just got this quail a few days ago from a shelter

You're not going to need to worry about chicks. Coturnix quail rarely go broody.

You will have to worry about a single hen getting overbred, however. One rooster needs 3-5 hens. If he only has one, he might very well injure or kill her accidentally.
Will I still need to worry about that if I got a much larger female like the jumbo quail? The Japanese quail is super small and I can’t picture him doing any damage to anything lol

I had to have 4 hens with my rooster to keep the hens happy. 3 or less and the hens lost a bunch of their feathers from too much mating. This would probably still be a problem with a larger hen, and it might even be worse because he has to strain to reach.

Agreed, most quail hens don't go broody, so there most likely won't be any chicks.

You might be able to get away with another roo. They have a chance of getting along if there are no females around. It really depends on the personality of the birds involved. They might try to kill each other or they might get along great.

Yes, the size will help but one of my biggest hens gets easily stressed out about mating and injures herself trying to escape the males. I ended up needing to move her to a hen only pen because she was just overly stressed out. And I had 9 hens and 2 males. She was the favorite of the one male and just constantly ran around and thus never laid eggs and always had a bloody beak from trying to escape. :-( the male definitely needs 3-4 ladies. I have yet to have any hens show any interest in their eggs. :)

You might be able to get away with another roo. They have a chance of getting along if there are no females around. It really depends on the personality of the birds involved. They might try to kill each other or they might get along great.
I’m very optimistic about another rooster since Quincy(my quail rooster) has a very mellow and friendly personality.

Back
Top Bottom