Getting a chick to drink

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by packmomma, Oct 9, 2011.

1. packmomma

packmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Argos, IN
    Ok I've been there..done that..but this little chick doesn't have any other chicks to "get it" so it will copy them and I don't have to keep showing him over and over and over. Anyone ever only have one chick that didn't understand that water can be drank on your own you don't have to keep peeping and peeping for my to come and shove your beak into it?? How long did it take for the chick to understand? I"m so worried about dehydration. Its still slow going on eating too but I figure its still eating a piece every now and then. At least it does it on its own. Its still got yolk nutrition going for today and eventually it will be hungry enough to eat more than one piece. Just isn't the brightest on the whole water thing. On the plus side, its super nice that I can give this one lots of cuddle time!

2. Alas

Alas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Covington, LA
    Put marbles or colored rocks into the water bowl. This will keep it from getting into the bowl and encourage it to peck at the rocks and notice the water.

3. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Dip your finger in water and show it the shiny thing hanging on your finger, it will peck at it and realize that it's water. Might not work, though. [​IMG]

4. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    X2
    I used those pretty floral marbles you can get. They were so shiny they couldn't resist pecking!

Quote:

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:This is what I do and it works every time never fails, they get the hang of it really quick. But you have to do it close to the waterer a few inches no further, so the chick see's where the water comes from and relates the two.

6. packmomma

Mar 10, 2009
    Argos, IN
    Well then my chick truly is retarded lol. I have different colored rocks I put in with each batch of chicks so they don't drown themselves..doesnt care. I put my finger in and moved it around..didnt care... I even went as far as putting food on my finger cause it would eat off my finger..and luring it to the water bowl.. nope..didnt work. I sprinkled some food inside and floated it around.. [​IMG] .nothing. I'll keep trying. It isn't shy about letting me know its hungry or thirsty. I just need to train the kids lol. I was cleaning the coop and had been outside a while and came back in and the chick was peeping up a storm. I asked my kid playing x-box why he didn't go check on the chick. He said well you told me not to touch it so I didn't. I said well you could have came and got me! [​IMG] DUH

7. packmomma

Mar 10, 2009
    Argos, IN
    Figures soon as I type how retarded it is....it decides to go ahead and prove me wrong [​IMG] At least I know it knows how without me shoving its beak in lol. It follows my finger..if I "drink" it drinks, if I "eat" it eats..if I open my palm... He hops on [​IMG] He wants attention but I don't know what to do to tire him out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by