Getting a guardian puppy - any chicken<-->dog communicables I need to worry about?

Pics

chickfused

Songster
Aug 1, 2021
Title says it all. I've never even owned a dog before, much less a working dog. I know about how to care for them, having done so from time to time and also from working in a shelter, but I don't know any specifics about chicken to dog and vice versa communicable illnesses. Is there anything to worry about beyond parasites?

The biggest worry is getting a dog with a high prey drive (as most of them have), which results in dead chickens.
Start with one of the livestock guard breeds, get it young and take the process very slowly with constant supervision.
I'm good there and have done my research. Just wanted to be sure there wasn't anything to watch for. Thank you!

Welp, I got my puppy. After consulting with a trainer, I put her in with the chickens from day 1 to sleep and she only visits with me for treats, love and training.

She told me "The biggest mistake people make getting small livestock guardian dogs, is that they bond them to people and teach them to respect the livestock. You have to bond them to the livestock and teach them to respect people if you want them to actually own their jobs. The best way to do that is simple immersion. Get her in there as fast as possible, with them as much as possible, in the safest way possible until she can be free."

Since she has shown absolutely no aggressive tendencies toward the birds, we're trying free living in their pen already. They're as big/bigger than her, so she's got to suck up to them. Hopefully this will prevent bird deaths as she outgrows them. I won't be mad at her if she kills one, but I hope she doesn't.

Her name is Copper. For both her color and her role.

1662467258930.png

English Shepherd.
That’s a good breed for the task. I have a sheltie. He started as a really fearful puppy, used to be scared of the chickens, now he’s a good boy he makes sure they don’t go where they shouldn’t. But I wouldn’t call him a protector, if he sees something that’s endangering the chickens, he would either run away or join in.

Back
Top Bottom