Getting a new horse tomorrow, fishing for name suggestions!

journey11

Crowing
14 Years
Feb 14, 2009
WV
rocky2_web.jpg

I'm going tomorrow to pick up my new horse. He's a 12-year-old Tennessee Walker gelding. I got him free!!! He's a rehab horse, retired show horse, cleared for light work and to build up from there. His current owners had four horses and are downsizing to two because they couldn't afford them all.

I was just looking for any old (free) horse to serve as a new pasture mate for my gaited Paint gelding, Journey, and I really lucked out on this one. I guess there's been a lot of people here lately unable to afford or sell their horse because of this lousy economy. I hate that for them, but I will give him a good and loving home.

His name is Rocky, but I don't really like it...not original enough for me. I'll take all the suggestions I can get! Thanks!

Congratulations! What a find! If you are not familiar with gaited horses may I recommend a friendly site? Gaits of Gold will have skads of information to help keep your horse's gait naturally.

The name, 'Mr. Red' pounced out at me when I first saw the picture. Lucky you!

What a good eye on that horse. I bet he will be a fine friend for your other horse. From his beautiful color, Burgundy or Brandy.

aww he looks like a gentle soul, I dont know about the name I have sat here a good five minutes searching his eyes in the picture but nothing is coming to me yet, I think I would get to know his personality first. I do love your other horse's name "Journey" so Maybe something in that theme? I hope you post more pics, My horses Are Cutter, Idgie ( from fried green tomatoes) and believe me the name fits, and cherokee...He's a pony but we havent told him that
wink.png

He sure is a looker!! He's got a great eye. Ok....I have to say it! Tennessee Walker=Jack Daniels!! LOL!! Sorry...I just had to post that!! LOL! But seriously here are a few:

Arthur
Sherman
Peregrine
Wanderer (since wanderers take trips aka journey's)
William (as in Tennessee Williams)

Thanks for the ideas! He is definitely Big and he is quite Red!
wink.png
I talked to his owner today and she is so sad to have to give him up, but knows it's for his best. I hate that for her. I can't imagine parting with any of my critters, although I know some people go through horses like toilet paper! I am afraid I may feel too guilty to change his name... I'll just have to see how it feels, Rocky may suit him after all, or I may try to pick a name to match up with my Paint, Journey. (His registered name was Bandit's Spirit of Freedom, which is a good name, but Journey meant more to me, it was such a journey of learning when I first got him.)

Theoldchick, thanks for the site recommendation. My paint is gaited too, but the information will be helpful to me. The site I found when I googled it shows it as a forum, hope I got the right one.

Back
Top Bottom