Getting a puppy? Decisions to make.

Here's what you should get:

23665_fionnasittingpretty.jpg

She's an Irish Terrier! Wonderful dog, medium in size (25 lbs). We chose this breed because they don't shed, they're not a stinky dog, and they're not tiny and they're not huge. They don't bark alot either. She's a really loving, fabulous dog, and will bark if she things a stranger is around, but no excessive barking. Loves babies, adults.....Not so sure about chickens because we don't really let her out of our fenced in yard, and the chickens are on the other side of the yard. She is very very curious about them and will just sit and watch them.

She's a great dog!

Many horse people who took their dogs everywhere out this way had cattle dogs when I was growing up. They need a lot of socialization and boundaries, but they are called 'velcro dogs' for a good reason. That said, family settings are not always best unless you work hard to ensure a cattle dog respects each family member. There are many more social breeds that would be good too, but ACDs are a medium sized dog, and beyond loyal.

I have a mini poodle/shih-tzu named Milly that goes everywhere with me, to the stable where I work several hours a day, to the training stable that I keep my 2 year old, Clyde....to my aunts where my mares are...Milly even trail-rides with me right up on the horse.

I really love the fact that she is so portable, she can literally go anywhere with me, and if its a place that I cant bring her or if she is being annoying I always have her little crate in my truck and just crate her up in the tack room/lounge, my truck ect.

Thanks guys! Sooo much to think about! I spent a good hour on pet finder last night and came across a rescue with a bunch of Catahoula puppies. We owned one and he was an amazing dog, Never had an issue with him around the live stock. We lost him back in the spring, I found this one and I emailed the rescue today and they are going to call me. Im not in any rush to get a dog, i want to find the 'right' one, but It can't hurt to inquire right?

Take an online survey at several different dog sites to match you with the right dog.

Personally, I chose a companion-type mutt 3/4 Boxer and 1/4 Blue Heeler and have a tailor-made dog. Personally, I would never keep any type of hunting dog for a pet (especially rat terriers but also including Labs and retrievers - the most popular choice). Jack Russells and Parsons are a real hit or miss game. Personally, I love herding dogs, but they must be worked constantly.

You are wise to take your time in making this choice. Please, take a few online surveys. They make you think about things like how much hair you want to vaccuum.

88997_thredgoddesses.jpg

Last edited:
I say a border collie! I have a border collie mix named Zoey. She is the best little dog! She thinks she is a lap dog and is constantly sitting on my lap (even though she weighs 30-40lbs). The only problem with Zoey is she is very skittish towards strangers. But she does have a shorter coat and doesn't need to go to the groomers. She loves to be around people and won't leave my side. She would make an ideal farm dog the only problem is I don't live on a farm
lol.png
(I'm working on that).
Here is Zoey:
84433_102_2018.jpg

And with the chickens:
84433_102_2602.jpg

If not a border collie, then why not a beagle?
Beagles are:
Low maintenance as far as grooming goes.
They aren't too big but aren't too small (about 20-30lbs)
They love to be around people (though they do tend to wander a bit)

Edited for spelling.

Last edited:
Quote:
x2 Just go and look for a size that's anywhere between a jack russel and an Irish Terrier (btw, I agree with chicmom, she looks like the perfect size
smile.png
)but anything around there would be great.
But.... I've just gotta mention my favorite dog I ever had. She was from the pet store in the mall where they keep poor dogs in cages all day
sad.png
and she was listed as cocker spaniel/ cairin terrier. I don't know if that was right but she looked just like a mini rottweiler and we got her because my last dog looked similar but he was a lab mix and, well, awful! But she was great and we just found her, a mutt puppy with a fever in a terrible store that was closed down due to sick animals a few years later. So... my real advice would be to just take your time... and you'll find what you're looking for.

Good luck!

I agree, get a boston terrier- my baby emmit is the personality of 100 big dogs and can still snuggle in bed
big_smile.png

make sure you go through a reputable breeder as the breed does have health issues ( too short snouts being one and bug eyes being another 'issue' that causes bigger issues)

sunny & the 5 egg layers :

If not a border collie, then why not a beagle?
Beagles are:
Low maintenance as far as grooming goes.
They aren't too big but aren't too small (about 20-30lbs)
They love to be around people (though they do tend to wander a bit)

I raise beagles, and have to say they probably wouldn't be the best choice for your situation. Simply because they don't (tend to wander a bit) they take off on the first scent they smell, and may or may not figure out how to get back to you, especially if they are not in there normal area. This can be trained out of them (usually) but another breed would probably suit you better.​

Back
Top Bottom